Using direct view Wega XBR-450 as a computer monitor - is burn-in a worry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Aug 14, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I thought about using my new t.v. as a computer monitor and wondered if it was a bad idea due to the fact that there may be static images on the screen for periods of time. Should I not use it for this purpose? Thanks.

2. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I have a Sony 36XBR450, and I personally would never use it for this purpose. But that's only because I use my computer for hours and hours at a time. I wouldn't want any browser buttons, for example, to be burned onto my brand new XBR's screen!
    Better to just use a relatively cheap computer monitor instead. Although burn-in on modern CRT such as the XBR450 is not as likely as it used to be (especially if you keep the contrast at a low level), I wouldn't want to take a chance because it's such an expensive TV.
    So my advice is: don't do it... If it's just something you plan to do from time to time, then it should be okay.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't know about the burn-in issue, but I would be surprised if the XBR could display a high-res computer screen as well as even a moderately price monitor.
    If I understand:
    1080i = 1920 horiz x 1080 vert interlaced.
    720p = ~1300 horiz x 720 vert progressive
    It doesn't seem like you've got the resolution to display a typical computer image:
    Computer monitors readily display
    1024 x 768 progressive
    1280 x 1024 progressive
    1600 x 1200 progressive
    It's not clear to me that an HDTV set with 1080i or 720p will properly display a high res computer image.

4. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Looks crapy for computer web browsing, etc. You will be feeding it a svideo out from your video card and it will only be output in 480I. The computer will convert 640X480 or 800X600 to 480i and send it out the svideo out. Use it for Games.
    Option 2 is you can buy a VGA to Component Video converter, and use powerstrip to generate the HDTV resolutions for the TV via the component video outputs. I have tried this and it doesn't look good on an XBR400.
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Thanks for the responses, guys. I may just try occasionally using it to display games - little or no browsing at all.