What's new

Using digital coax for 6 ch input connections (1 Viewer)

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using digital coax cables for the 6 channels from my DVD to my receiver. Is this a bad idea? Can digital coax cables be used as analog cables?
It sounds OK but i'm wondering if it'll sound better if i used analog audio interconnects.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Actually, its kinda the other way around...
Analog video cables can be used as digital coaxial interconnects... The 'Digital Coaxial' mark is just a scam to get people to buy the cable for more than its worth... They're actually just normal 75ohm shielded COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLES!!!
Does your reciever do Dolby Digital/DTS decoding? Because the decoder in the reciever is probably better than the decoder in the DVD Player. If your reciever does do DD/DTS Decoding, try just using a single Optical Cable or Video cable (For Coaxial bitstream) to utilize your reciever's Decoder rather than the DVD Players...
if not, and you wanna stick with the 6ch analog outputs on the DVD Player, using "Digital Coaxial" cables is fine, its just like using a Composite video cable... :)
Welcome to the forum! :)
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh i see. My receiver (kenwood vr4700) does have DTS & DD, but my DVD player (Kenwood dv4070) has a very decent DAC, it's capable of 192 khz. I do have the digital output connected to my receiver as well, and comparing back and forth the 6 channel input sounds quite a bit better.
Thanks very much for your help NickSo!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
You're welcome! :)
I'm very passionate in saving people money, making them realize a $60 'Digital Coaxial Cable' is the same as a $10 Gold radio shack shielded video cable..
You're gonna like it here!
tongue.gif

------------------

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I hate to burst your bubble, but it says on the kenwood site that the new model of your DVD Player outputs "24-Bit Resolution, up to 192kHz Sampling (L&R), up to 96kHz Sampling (C/LS/RS/Sub)"
So in 5.1 mode, its only 96khz..
These are the specs for the DV-5700...
Yours could be different...
I just found it strange, since the VR4700, said above is a real good reciever
------------------

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
This doesn't surprise me guys. The 4070 is a DVD Audio unit which means it has to have higher quality decoders and processors. I am running the 4090 receiver with the 4070 DVD and they are incredible. I also run the 6 channel inputs instead of using the receiver. I also tested this out with a friends Denon 4802 and the 4070 sounded better than letting the Denon do the decoding. The downside of this in both cases is a lack of bass control.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
Sean: i'm not the same Tyler from Home theater talk
The specs for my dv4070 say 192 kHz (DVD AUDIO only). It also mentions 192 kHz 24 bit for 2 channel, and 96 kHz for 6 channel, so you're right NickSo. Also, as far as i know, the vr4700 is only capable of 96kHz. Going by the DVD's DAC being capable of 192 kHz, i'm thinking its the better DAC. It has the pure Audio mode, and like Doug said, it's built for DVD audio sound quality. But i suppose it doesn't matter because its all about what sounds better to my ear :)
Doug, since you have a similar setup, here's a question for ya (or anyone else who can figure it out): I get the clip indicator on my VR4700 when playing DVD audio discs on my dv4070. I can't find a way to adjust the attentuation on the 4700 when using the DVD 6ch ANLG input... in fact when the receiver is on DVD 6ch mode, I can't adjust anything!
Any ideas?

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg: Small world! If you want a good laugh, check out the rider's stats this year!
Thanks for the info Sean.
Damn this forum is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks