Using credit card "points" for HT stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Smith, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Discover has recently added a list of "partners" to their cashback bonus award program that allow you to double your award by taking gift certificates to a partner's store instead of cash. Borders and Blockbuster are two of these partners, so I have been using my award to buy DVDs. I recently bought As Good as it Gets and Saving Private Ryan for a total cost to me of $3.47.

Does anyone else use credit card "points" for HT gear/software? Are there other cards that I could use and do better?

Discover's program works like this (I will post percentages for cashback bonus, which are then doubled if you use one of the partner stores).
    Each year:
    Amount Award
    first $1500 0.25%
    next $1500 0.50%
    over $3000 1.00%

2. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

I use the MBNA Barnes and Noble card. 1% for every dollar (2% for BN purchases). I wait until BN.COM has one of their $10 off $50 coupons and they've had free shipping forever (with 2 or more items). With about $1500 charged I can usually get 3 free DVD's every 2 to 3 months.

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

As a rule of thumb, if you can get back 1 penny for every dollar spent (i.e. 1% refund), then you're doing okay. You can certainly do better, but I would use 1% as a minimum.

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I've got an American Express rewards account setup. I'm saving up for a free dolby digital receiver. Only need 45,000 points ($1 spent = 1 point)... Got about 10,000 points now. By next year, that baby should be mine.
    Yes, I know it's a complete rip-off - who spends $45k to get a $500 receiver?! I use my personal card for company expenses and they reimburse me. [​IMG]