What's new

Using computer 7.1 in a small living room (1 Viewer)

pengyou1

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
I'm a newbie here, and haven't played around with stereo stuff since the late 70's...back when they used stone and chisel to reproduce the sound :) I have a small apartment in Beijing now and would like to set up a home theater system in it. I am looking at an i5 with an ssd for the system apps, a 7200 rpm hd for the rest of the stuff, and a bluray player. I am pretty familiar with the pc part of the equation but I am looking to learn about the sound system. My friends have 7.1 speaker systems(computer speaker systems) hooked up to their computer for gaming. I have listened to movies on them and like the sound but the space is smaller than my living room, about 1/3 the size. is it possible to get 2 7.1 systems hooked up to one computer?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You want 7 speakers, a subwoofer, and an amplified receiver. Then connect whatever devices you have into the receiver by HDMI, including your PC. Connect the receiver HDMI out to the display (HDTV or whatever).

Done.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Side notes:

The PC is not the speaker amplifier.

The PC is an AV source, equivalent to an AppleTV or Roku or standalone blu-ray player.

You’re not connecting other AV sources into the PC.

Get a normal speakers and a conventional receiver.

Don’t get a HomeTheater in a Box.

Don’t get a SoundBar unless you’re certain it has enough HDMI inputs for all devices you’ll want for its lifetime.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your post is a bit hard to follow:

My friends have 7.1 speaker systems(computer speaker systems) hooked up to their computer for gaming. I have listened to movies on them and like the sound but the space is smaller than my living room, about 1/3 the size.
Are you talking about systems from a company that specializes in so-called computer speakers, like Logitech? If so, those systems are typically pretty dinky as it is; I can’t imagine something even smaller.

is it possible to get 2 7.1 systems hooked up to one computer?
Are you talking about using a separate audio system for gaming and for movies? If so, are they both using the same desk as the viewing / listening position?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

pengyou1

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Thanks! Yes, i was thinking about a logitech system, but sounds like a no go. No , i just want to watch videos, movies, listen to music. Occassionally do a video conference with skype.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you want speakers connected to your PC, then you can buy 5.q or 7.1 speaker kits meant for computer use.

But if also have a stand-alone Roku or Xbox or blu-ray player (etc), they can’t connect into the PC to use the speakers.

In that case, get a small set of speakers and an affordable receiver, and you’ll have what you want.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, it turns out the Logitech system is basically a Home Theater in a Box (HTiB), with inputs for multiple sources.

"Speaker System Z906 - Logitech" (https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z906)
Supports multiple inputs simultaneously. Connect up to six compatible devices via 3.5mm, RCA, six-channel direct, digital coaxial and optical inputs. Choose the audio input via the control console or remote control.

pengyou1

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
I have seen many sound bars for sale. Is it possible to get one now and later integrate it into a 7.1 system, perhaps as the front center or front left and right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks