1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Using car sub in DIY home sub enclosure

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_E, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

I currently work at circuit city (boo hiss!!) and can get really good deals on bare car audio subs. Typically we carry MTX, POLK and SONY. Looking at some of the MTX 8000 series subs, they look like they could take a ton of power. I would definetly get the 15inch version. I currently have a SVS 20-39 running off of 1 channel of a Samson S700. Looking at someones home theater who's name I can remember, He had a servo 15 with a 20-39 stacked on top of it. I would kinda like to do that in the corner of my room, except the 15 would be a DIY. MY room measures 12.8 x 8 x 16.8 feet, so its around 1700 cubic feet. I would think that the MTX 8000 would do just nicely, they have pics on their site of it. It says it handles 500 rms but I'll have to see about that. I know you guys like all the specs for the woofer but my adobe isnt working for some reason right now. The have all the sub specs in pdf format on the website if anyone would be nice enough to post the up here. Ideas??

2. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

3. Scott_E

Well since my adobe isnt working all that well could someone post them up?? I was also looking at the alpine type R. The 15 inch version. Ill try to get my adobe working to I can post some specs.

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Scott--
    I would suggest a band pass box, although harder to make for some people, the put out nice sound.
    I use a custom-made one in mine..
    You can get an already made one for like $40 on www.speakerhole.com, you can definitly make a cheap sub sound great with these.
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com
    [Edited last by NathanP on September 25, 2001 at 01:45 PM]

5. Scott_E

Well neither speaker is cheap, as both are 400 retail. I am using this for HT so I would shy away from bandpass, I was really looking to either use the MTX 15, the Alpine 15 or the Tempest 15 in a cube with my SVS 20-39 on top. Ideas? THere is another thread here with the specs for the MTX and the Alpine.

6. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit