What's new

Using car audio components for HT? (1 Viewer)

RobLJ

Stunt Coordinator
What would be the harm in using a set of 6 1/2" components in an enclosure designed by winISD for home theater? Any thoughts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Car audio components will tend to be 4 Ohm, while most HT gear is 8 Ohm compatible. They are also designed for a smaller, enclosed environment, not an HT. Will it work? Yes. Will it be great? Probably not.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm currently using a pair of Infinity 5 1/4" car speakers as the center channel in my custom built ET center. They sound pretty good too. When wired in series, two 4 ohms become an 8 ohm load. I will, however, be replacing them with the woofers of an Onkyo center and the tweeter from a Cerwin Vega CV-5 because I want to put the Infinity's back in my Fiat. You can use auto speakers but with varying success. I just happen to have a ton of car speakers lying around. The proper inclosure is critical. Just for fun, I took the 4" mids out of the Onkyo center and put Polk GX-4's in their place. Not bad, but I really didn't audition them for very long. In the long run you're better of sticking with the HT stuff. Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks