What's new

Using BOTH the Dig and the Analog Outputs of My DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

John_VI

Second Unit
I've read on this forum that - at least for some DVD player/receiver combinations - it is best to use the analog outputs of the DVD player for playing CD's. Since I want to take advantage of the digital output for DVD's, would it be possible to hook the analog audio output to the CD input on my receiver, and the digital output to the digital input? Then I could switch to the CD input to listen to music, and the digital input to listen to/watch DVD's.

Opinions?

John Royster

Screenwriter
you should be able to. Most DVD/CD players output digital and analog at the same time. You can then change the mode/input on your receiver to see which you prefer.

For example on my 3802 I have a coax digital input assigned to CD and also plugged cd player into R/L audio inputs. Then using the remote I can switch betwwen "PCM" and "analog" to select digital or analog.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Same here. I have my JVC 70BK connected with both an optical to the DVD input and stereo analogs to the CD analog

input. Funny thing is, on my H/K receivers I can also select CD optical as well even though the connection is to DVD. That way the DVD optical connection is always reserved for DD or DTS sound.

John_VI

Second Unit
Thanks folks. BTW, I'm connecting the DVD player (Tosh SD-3109) to an H/K AVR-520. I do not have a dedicated CD player, so I thought this would be okay.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
You should be aware of the choices you are making. The digital output to your receiver is using the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) of your receiver. The analog output from your player is using the DAC of your player. Which one is better?

If you make the assumption (a big one) that the clock and filters are equal, then you should choose the highest bit rate and frequency DAC. If they're the same, don't bother with the analog connections.

Either way, you have to convert the digital signal on the CD to analog to send to your speakers. I would assume the analog signal IN from your player gets treated by the same circuit as the analog signal converted inside the receiver.

Of course if you have separates and a big difference in quality between player and Pre/Pro then it changes things.

John_VI

Second Unit
Thanks for the additional insight, BobH. I am aware of the trade-offs, and where the D-to-A conversion takes place for each type of connection. I was just wondering if anyone else had done it, of if it was even a proper thing to TRY. I'll check it out and see which sounds better. I may end up staying with the digital connection for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks