What's new

Using Boston Acustics with no sub? (1 Viewer)

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to help my uncle build a HT. We were looking at getting a fairly inexpensive Package deal (Yamaha reciever, velodyne spks and sub). But then went to The Good Guys and the salesman had him drooling over some BA tower speakers. I can't remember the model number but they each had a 10" active woofer, and a 12" passive woofer and had their own internal amplifier. The salesman said that with these speakers (and a center and rears) you wouldn't need a subwoofer, and that it was preferrable because the sound was more even with two subs. They sounded pretty good but I'm not sure if that's the way to go for a home theater. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

joey

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ask what the low frequency extension is. I guarantee it will not be as good as the Velodyne sub, regardless of internal amplification. Tower speakers of this type are typically good for music though, but for movies, you still gotta have a sub for the low stuff. I'm sure it will still sound good, but not as good as with a dedicated sub.

ken thompson

Second Unit
I believe the speakers you are referring to are the VR975s. I have these in my HT set up in my 20X24 great room and I am constantly knocking stuff off the walls with these things. I beleive the speakers are rated down to 20Hz but have never measured the actual output. 20Hz is probably optimistic but these speakers go real low real loud. They are the absolute best option if you dont want a separate sub. And I'd say you'd probably need to spend quite a bit on a separate sub to out-do these babies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks