Using Bipolars all round?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i have been meaning to ask this question for about 6 months now but haven got round to it. Some posts i have read say using bipolars for the surround speakers difuse the sound and dont make the effects so direct. Some people think that when the sound comes from one point it doesn't seem realistic as it is direct.

well i wondeed why people dont use bipolar speakers for the front left and right channels. Arent the front speakers also used for effects in a movie. I could understand if someone uses their system for music aswell but i have seen setups primarily for movies. is the idea of using bipolars/dipolars just stupid?

please help a confused guy understand

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Most people prefer direct-radiating speakers for the front soundstage, because the imaging is more pinpoint and the speakers more accurately present information the way it was recorded on a stereo CD, for example. Definitive Technology uses a bipolar arrangement in many of their speakers, however, and they have gotten kudos in many HT magazines. One speaker company that I know of, Mirage, has a line of speakers that are "Omnipolar", that is they disperse sound in a 360-degree radius. Just a question of personal preference, I suppose. JH

3. John H

John H Second Unit

I use bipolar mains, sides and rears in my setup. I find this works very well.

As Jan says personal preference dictates speaker type choice.

John

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've got dipoles for all 7 speakers in my HT (all maggies) and love their sound. Dipoles can make for great HT speakers if you have the room for them

5. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

what size are the dipolars used for the front. I have only seen small ones no more that 30cm tall such as the mission 77ds

6. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I have Mirage speakers all around. Fronts, Center, Sub, and surrounds. They sound great. Only my front speakers are Omipolar (OM7). They sound great!!!