What's new

Using Bipolar Surronds with Monopolar Mains? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Would a setup like this work together? That is using the Bipolar surrounds with Monopolar center and mains or do I need Bipolar mains? Also, what’s the difference between bipolar and dipolar?

As always, thanks for your inputs/suggestions.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dipole This speaker fires in 2 directions, but it is designed to fire ALONG A WALL so you hear the reflected sound. It was popular for ProLogic tapes where the rear sounds were mono, and only ambient noises (wind, rain, etc.) You should avoid these speakers with a modern DVD system.
Bipolar This speaker fires forwards and backwards, but is designed to fire AT THE LISTENER. The back echo should hit your ears with some delay which can fool your ears into placing the sound-source several feet farther away than it really is.
Yes, you can have monopole mains and bipolar rears.

Alex F.

Second Unit
If I may interject a correction about wall-mounted bipolar surround speakers: They, too, fire along the wall like dipolar surrounds. They differ from the dipoles only in that all the drivers remain in phase with each other.

I also certainly do not agree that dipoles should be avoided for DVD use. Like so many others, including Dolby Labs and THX, I recommend such speakers for DVD movie reproduction in the home.

I also prefer wall-mounted bipolar surrounds over monopoles for music reproduction, and find that such bipoles are ideal for all-around (i.e., movie and music) use. They provide a unique and very satisfying combination of spaciousness and localization that works nicely for both sound mediums.

Monopole mains and wall-mounted bipolar surrounds make for a great system.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the inputs so far. The specific speakers I am looking at are Def Tech PM500 for mains and center and Def Tech BP1.2X for the surrounds.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Lowell, they should work nicely together since all DT speakers have similar voiceing. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks