1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Using AVIA to calibrate DLP display and having problems.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I did a search on this and I could not find anything that matched my problem. I have a Infocus sp4805 connected to a PC via DVI. When I run the test pattern on the Avia disc for setting black level I can not see any moving bars, no matter where I set the brightness. It is possible to do this using a PC with a DVI connection or do I have to switch to a component input to calibrate?

Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

Look into a settign called something like Black Level, there are two options and either device being changed may fix it.

Some times, using the digital connection on the display, the display is not able to change it, it has to be done on the source. Hopefully your source will have such a setting. Most HDMI and DVI output devices do have a set of picture controls and options for it, knowing many displays will not allow adjustments on digital video inputs.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If your DVD player has that setting, try both standard black and enhanced black. This setting when offered is meant to better match the player to the TV's characteristics, not simply to make shadow detail come out better.

The inability to see the moving black bars in the AVIA black level pattern is due to inability to display distinguishably the darkest shades on the gray scale.

On a DLP TV, you might see these moving bars more by getting up close to the TV and noticing whether there are small moving black patches without a dithering, or crawling, effect on a black background with the dithering effect. As you turn up the brightness on a DLP, the first thing that will be seen in what was supposedly totally black will be this dithering.

For contrast, on any non-CRT TV the white/black upright line on the black/white background in the "needle test" will never bend and the white square on a black background in the "blooming test" will never swell. Skip those tests.

If you calibrate with the component inputs, the calibration may or may not also be correct for digital input. Ideally the TV can save both calibrations.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Adam, is your PC your primary source?

What software, video card, and renderer are you using?

The bars in Avia are above black and should never be clipped off, however especially if you are using Overlay as your video renderer, the PC expansion to PC levels can be extreme and clip well into the reference video range in my experience.

You should most likely be using VMR9 as your renderer, with newer video cards and drivers it should properly maintain levels and not clip image data.

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I used Avia to calibrate my 4805. I had no troubles with my DVD player, but I did not see the moving bars when setting up my computer. It is a basic 5 yr old HP so I figured it was the stock video card.

Dave

6. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I am not sure if I followed everything you said. I am using a high end IBM laptop as my main DVD source. It has a 1.8 Mhz Mobile pentium processor and the ATI Radeon Mobility video card with 128 MB of video memory. My laptop has 1.5 GB of RAM. It is docked when I use it for playing back DVD's, so I can use the DVI output. Also, I have a Creative Labs Audigy ZS laptop sound card. I am using WinDVD 6.0 as the software player. For rendering, I have no idea here?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm not familiar with winDVD, but somewhere you should be able to choose whether you are using VMR7/9 or Overlay as your video renderer. You should chose VMR9, otherwise you're probably in Overlay which is expanding to PC levels, probably doing it poorly and clipping your bars.

8. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I was just looking in the WinDVD setup and I could not find anywhere you could change the video renderer. I did a help search and only came up with audio renderer. So, I am still lost.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

use a different program, try Zoom player, this gives you tons of control.