Using an SPL Meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I just picked up an SPL meter at radio shack and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to use it to calibrater my home theater. I know i should use the search, but i tried and can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.

---jay

2. Ben Salvemini

[​IMG]Hi mate
    To use an spl meter is quite easy.
    1. Sit in your main listening position
    2. Set your meter to 'c' weighted 'slow response'
    3. Set the dial to '80'
    4. Turn your gear on and hit the internal test tone generator on your processor.
    5. Make shure you start with the mater volume low first.
    6. Follow the instructions for your set up on your processor (each may be slightly different)
    7. Your spl meter shout read inbetween the -6 and -4 0n the meter so it is 75db.
    Make sure that it is pointing up and a near ear level in your main listening position.
    This will become the calibrated reference level (although many people may play slightly at a lower level check posts on "dialnorm")
    Your can set up the levels using reference dvd disks like "avia" and others.
    All in all at the end of the day. Your levels for output or balance between all channels will or should be equal.
    ben

3. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

quick answer:

-use your receiver's test tones or a disc like AVIA or Video Essentials to generate pink noise.

-set everything (your receiver's relative volum levels, i.e. +2 for rears, -1 for front, etc...) so that the test tones all measure 75dB.

-set the bass to your liking (the SPL meter isn't very accurate for low frequencies, plus most people prefer a sound in which the sub is set a few dB above the levels of the other speakers

-note at what setting the volume is when all the tones are playing equally at 75dB. that's the "reference" level.

second step: run frequency sweeps from 20 to 20,000 Hz. look at the needle on your RS meter. it should oscillate the least possible. you will probably have bumps and drops in sound pressure at certain frequencies. it remains to be seen how and if you could correct for that. report those here and people will help you. remember that the RS meter measures lower than it should for the low frequencies. look for a table on the internet which lists all the corrections needed to get accurate readings from the Radio Shack SPL meter.

for all of the preceding, set the weighting to C and the speed to fast.

hope it helps.

4. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

wow ,,those answers were quick... thanks again.

---jay