What's new

Using an Old Laptop as MP3 Player? (1 Viewer)

I would like to use my laptop as the main source of music in my entertainment center. How could I do the hookups? I have USB on this laptop but what is the best way to get it connected to my reciever? it has a huge HD so I think it would be a good place to keep my music. Any thoughts?

Mike

TomMadden

Agent
What you need to get the best audio out of it is a USB to S/P-DIF connector (digital coax). There are two out there that come to mine - the harman/kardon DAL-150 and mAudio's Sonica. There is a standard for streaming audio over the USB bus (which is how plug and play USB speakers work), and these boxes just take advantage of that standard and pump it out to a digital connector. You can then hook your laptop up to an available digital input on your receiver.

I'm saving my cash for a Sonica box right now, since they are touting Macintosh support (they should - most of the MIDI boxes that they sell go to Mac customers).

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks