Using an integrated amp as a power amp....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Cook, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hi folks!
    I have a Yamaha DSP-A990 converted to take a 5.1 output from a DD/DTS processor.
    Problem is, the rears of this amp only produce 25w. Now, bearing in mind that this amp has pre-outs for all 6 channels, would it be feasible to use my old Marantz PM40SE, integrated Amp to power my rear channels, thus bringing them up to the same 6)w perchannel of my LCR's?
    If this is acceptable where would the volume control on the Marantz have to be set? Maximum?
    Many thanks in advance
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

2. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Can anybody help?
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

It should be doable. If your integrated amp has preouts/main ins, then you can run RCA interconnects from your 6.1 outputs straight to the main amp inputs on your integrated. If you do that, it won't matter where you set the volume on the integrated, because its preamp portion will have been bypassed.
    If you don't have a main amp input on your integrated, you'll have to run the interconnects to a line level input on the integrated, and now the volume control will come into play. I would advise keeping it somewhere near the middle, and adjusting levels on your receiver. That gives you the best chance of having your integrated amp's preamp working near the middle of its performance range, where I would guess it would perform the best - most components are the noisiest near the ends of their performance limits.