Using amps in 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

My current setup includes a Denon 3803 and an Earthquake 3 channel amp. The Earthquake amp powers my front three speakers and the amps in the 3803 power the surrounds. If and when I get a pre/pro (several years away) would I be able to use the amps in the 3803 to power the surrounds by the using the ext-in inputs? At first I definately thought yes but now I dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

That should work fine.

3. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Thanks Brian. What concerns me is how to control the volume on the surrounds when using 3803 amps only. Wouldnt they work off the vloume control of the 3803 and not the pre/pro?

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

When you go on to calibrate your future prepro set the 3803 at a certain volume level so it matches the output level of your Earthquake. Once you are close to matched leave the 3803 volume level and do all the fine adjustments from your prepro. Once everything is calibrated dont touch the volume level on your 3803 and it should work fine as your surround amp.

5. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

Andrew, I own a Denon AVR4802 and I recently went to seperates using three amps bridged to mono across the front
    3 channels and a single stereo amp for the rears and I must say I'm sold on seperates now as the Denon is just a pre/pro now, even though I sometimes feel I'm wasting part of the receiver (the internal amps), the dynamics and power of the seperate amps are just incredible, but i'll probably be looking for a true pre/pro eventually also. I would probably recommend that you just get a seperate amp/amps as well for your rears and use the 3803 for duty in another room or something, as to not waste a great receiver. What you want to do will work, but if your going true seperates, go all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I was going to go to seperates eventually but then I found an incredible deal on the earthquake amp (and I mean incredible). My speakers are fairly power hungry, Def Tech 7001's, so the amp was a smart buy. But now I hate the fact I am wasting the amps in the 3803.

When I get a pre/pro I just might get a stereo amp (or 2 if I have 7.1) for the surrounds and either sell the 3803 or do what you said and put it in another room. Of course, a lot of this depends on my AV situation in a couple of years. Nothing like planning ahead.

Bt the way, what excatly is bridging to mono? I have only been into HT for about 2 years now and have been trying to learn as much as possible, I knew absolutly nothing about it before.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    "Bridging" refers to combining the outputs of a stereo amplifier into a single output with more power - i.e., turning a stereo amplifier into a more powerful mono amp.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

Andrew, I have 3 stereo amps across the front that have the option to be "bridged" to mono, resulting in using only one channel(mono), but at greatly increased power, pretty much as Wayne explained it........