What's new

using a universal remote with cordless logitech devices? (1 Viewer)

Mark_Su

Agent
Right now I'm using a Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical wireless keyboard and mouse, but is there any way I can program the keyboard receiver to recognize inputs from a regular tv/universal remote? The wireless keyboard is just too bulky to make a good remote :)
thanks,
Mark

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
If you want complete control of your HTPC via a universal remote, an IR one I'm assuming, you will need something like the IRMan paired with a software package called Girder. Not the easiest thing in the world to do but once you get it put together it is absolutely amazing what you can do with your HTPC.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
That is really going to depend on how you want to set up your control scheme. Personally I only use the mouse when I am surfing the web or sending email via my HTPC. Otherwise, watching TV, watching movies, and listening to music are all controlled through my IR remote and girder.

Bob

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I understand some remotes have a little mouse or track ball on them. Are these any good? Or is it just a matter of preference? My roommate and I will be putting a dedicated HTPC in the living room and the plan was to have a wireless KB & mouse or trackball on the side (only to be used when absolutely necessary) and a nice remote for everything else.

Can you recommend a good universal learning remote?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Rob:
I have a circular pad on my AIW remote, and while it's nice in a pinch, it's not terribly accurate. I'd recommend getting a cordless optical mouse like the MX 700 to take care of your point and click duties instead. I have the MX 500, which is basically a 700 with a cord, and I couldn't be happier with it.
I've heard that the 700 is indistinguishable from a corded mouse with regards to response time.... dunno if thats true though.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Logitech cordless optical mouse, don't remember the model, and it works very well for me. That is even with the RF receiver being in another room with the HTPC. As for the mouse function through the remote, I also have the ATI remote and my Neo Pronto setup to do mousing functions. I find it a bit klunky to use them for anything requiring a lot of mousing but for the one or two step operations they work fine.

cristo_may

Auditioning
I suggest you to look at Ira from Home Electronics.
The receiver from your wireless keyboard can not accept signals from remote controls. They use different ways to transmit data via IR light.
Regards, C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks