Using a speaker selector to switch front mains between towers and Quintet satellites?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Robert P, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Robert P

Robert P Auditioning

I would like to do this so I can use my towers for music and the surrounds for movies. Is this common?

I have a Denon AVR-1803 and am currently using the "surround back/zone 2" outputs for Zone 2 to listen to music through my two towers from my old stereo but would eventually like to use those outputs for my rear surround speakers for 6.1 HT (I would be using Klipsch Quintets for all of the HT speakers).

I'm guessing I would just have to leave the settings on the front mains to "small" but would that affect the music coming out of the towers when listening to cds?

Another option is to buy an additional amplifier for "Zone 2" and hook the towers up to that but I don't understand what the advantage would be if all the speakers are in the same room. I'm still new to this so is there something I'm missing or another alternative that I should do? Thanks for all of your help!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Robert, Welcome to the Forum!

The advantage would be that the towers would then be full-range all the time – no futzing with menu settings every time you wanted to use them. But you’d have to be able to set up the system to where only Zone 2 was operating and the main system would be turned off.

So I guess you have to decide which is most convenient, that or changing large/small settings every time you want to use the towers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Robert P

Robert P Auditioning

Thanks so much Wayne!

I'm hoping to eventually get an additional amplifier that way I can go from two to four speakers when using Zone 2. But I'm not really sure what to look for when buying the receiver. Would I be able to go to a pawn shop and just pick up a cheap receiver since I would only be using it for stereo sound? I guess I don't know exactly what role the new receiver would play except for maybe just amplification and volume control and that my main Denon would be handling everything else. Thanks again.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Actually, all you need is an amplifier. Of course, the receiver could work for that. It would have a lot of stuff that you don’t need – like a lot of inputs. But on the other hand, you might find things like tone controls useful.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt