Using a sound card for active speakers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkAustin, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MarkAustin

MarkAustin Auditioning

As someone new to the home theater world, I've been planning my system for a few months now and have decided that I would like to go with active speakers for my sound. (been looking hard at Genelec) My question is, if I were to use a sound card to output to my speakers directly (i.e. bypass the need for a separte reciever, using my HTPC only) which one would you recommend? I will need one that does Dolby/DTS decoding and I would like to go with a 7.1 card. Also, I'm not really clear on if going this route offers a replacement for pre-amping?...would I be able to control the master volume of the system via this avenue?

2. Robert_Saini

Robert_Saini Auditioning

Mark,

I too would like to setup my system in this way. ie- eliminate the need for my amplifier.

The card I have found is Turtle Beach's Catalina card. This is a 7.1 card that has outputs to each speaker.

Their website is: www dot turtlebeach dot com
    - As I cannot post a URL.

I hope this helps.

I am currently looking for an active speaker package. If you have any recommendations please let me know.
    I would like a 5.1 satellite set.

Cheers.

3. MarkAustin

MarkAustin Auditioning

Thanks! Very helpfull. As far as active speakers, I really like Genelec... check them out at www dot genelec dot com

4. MikeSHU

MikeSHU Agent

Try the M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496. Cost about $100 can do DTS and AC3 pass through. If you want 7.1 pass through (I assume your HTPC will be decent enough to decode in software) try the Delta 1010LT which will run you about $300. I would stay away from those regular PC audio cards if you have a very high end system. A recording card is much better.