What's new

using a seperate power amp w/ a HT reciever? (1 Viewer)

john_focal

Agent
hi all.
Right now, I am running a Sony STR-DE675 home reciever, and Home Theater Direct speakers (level 3 package).
My issue is that I personally feel like the amp has little headroom at high volumes. Max volume is 47, the reciever doesnt begin to push decent until 30, and anything after 35 sounds crappy to me. While playing music, this volume range is acceptable, but during DVD playback, I tend to sometimes want more clean power than the reciever seems capable of.
So my question is: Is the addition of an amplifier a wise idea, or would I just be better off with a higher end reciever? Would an external xover setup be neccessary also, or would the reciever still be dictating xover points? At some point, I will be upgrading to a different set of speakers, most likely a 5.1 setup with towers in the front instead of bookshelf speaks all the way around like I have now.
This system is used for HT viewing and purely music listening in about a 50/50 % btw.
Thanks in advance for the help!! This forum has been a great help already just browsing around :)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi John,
Watch your wallet. This place is full of expensive ideas. In that vein just let me say...
The addition of an amplifier is always a wise idea. :D
Actually though, for what you would pay for a decent 5 channel amp, even used, you could sell the 675 and put the proposed amp money into a new Sony 2ES or older 3ES on closeout. The amp staging in these receivers is quite good and has been verifiably tested. Great as receivers and as preamps should you ever start thinking amp again. Also, when adding an amp, the receiver acting as preamp can handle the X-over.
Of course the least expensive route with your current setup is a good 3 channel for the frontstage. 5 channel Parasound 855A's are still available for $300-$400 and are worth every penny.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Without knowing your budget, I would guess that upgrading to to a higher quality receiver would be more of an improvement than just adding external amps to your current receiver. I'm not against adding amps to receivers, it's just that your particular receiver leaves a lot to be desired when used as a pre/pro, IMO.

JackS

Supporting Actor
If your receiver has pre-outs, add a small inexpensive two channel amp. I suggest before you spend to much on tower speakers you try them first. A nice set of bookshelves with a sub could be a better sounding setup. I've used both and prefer the bookshelves.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Be advised that NO receiver at any price can match the performance available from a quality seperate amp. Expect to pay a minimum of $1200 (retail) for a decent multi-channel amp...

john_focal

Agent
hi again. After doing more research, I've found a Marantz MM-9000 amp that seems to be within my budget. I've checked out thier top reciever, which comes close to matching the output of the MM9000, of course for more money.

Does anyone out there have experience w/ this amp?

Granted, there are many recievers that also fall into this price range that are superior to what Im running now.

Im really not into bells and whistles as far as DSP effects for HT use. What I am a stickler on is the sound quality/cleanliness/volume first and foremost. While my Sony reciever is pretty lacking in the EQ department, my biggest complaint by far is the output.

I certainly dont know all the angles here, but my guess is to use a seperate amp like the Marantz, use the sony as a processor for now, and this would give me what I'm looking for sound-wise?

What else should I be looking at as far as issues with this setup goes?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Any 125 W x 5 amp should drive your speakers with clean thunderous power. There are many in this range that can be had for about $800 used and about $1200 new. Some of them in the order that I like them (warm to bright) are:

B&K 5125 ($1299 new)
Parasound 1205 ($999 new)
Rotel 1075 ($1200 new)
Marantz MM9000 ($1299 new)
Adcom 7500 ($1299 new)
Outlaw 5 channel (model/price?)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
As Paul mentioned earlier, watch your wallet around here:)
My recommendation would be to purchase a Denon 3802 receiver. They apparently can be had for $699 plus shipping. There is a recent thread about this in this forum. Do a search on this receiver at HTF and you will get plenty of good opinions from those of us who own one.

TimG

Second Unit
I don't think your receiver has preouts, does it? You may have to go the new receiver route anyway if you want to add an amp to it.

TimG

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Bingo! Tim is right.(Love those Crutchfield photos!) You'll need to get a new receiver for more power after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks