What's new

Using a seperate AV amp to power the sub woofer (1 Viewer)

phillip jones

Auditioning
HI, I have a question.My DVD has both 6 chanelout and I have it conected opticaly/digital I have a Kenwood Krf -v5030d amp and Goodmans Arena speakers, I have the subwoofer (passive) bi wired at the moment. But the reciever/amp has a subwoofer preout (a single RCA) and I have a spare kenwood KA - V3700 amp the preout has a rating of 2v/2.2 k olms How do I use the spare amp to drive the subwoofer? Is this likely to give me an improvement in sound? if yes (the subwoofer has 2 sets of speaker conections) Do I plug my RCA phono lead into the pre out use a 1 to 2 to split the phono left and right to the spareamp and wire the subwoofer to the front speaker connectors or is there more to it? also do I set the base settings and stuff on the second amp or leave it as a flat responce. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phillip:b

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Phillip,

Your post is pretty jumbled and confusing – that’s probably why you haven’t received a response to what should be a simple question.

All you need to do is send the sub out signal from the 5030 to the inputs on the 3700, using a “y” adapter at the 3700 to get the signal into both of its inputs. Then connect both the speaker outputs to the sub.

Part of the problem that makes it difficult to give good advice here is that you give us no indication of precisely what the 3700 is. Is it a basic power amp, an old-fashioned stereo receiver, or a recent-model Dolby Pro-Logic receiver? For your application, set-up for each will be a little different. It’s not realistic to expect that everyone here is a veritable encyclopedia of every product and model number that Kenwood has ever produced.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I think you have it correct, Along with Wayne. Leave all the tone controls flat so you don't color the sound.

phillip jones

Auditioning
HI,
Sorry about the confusion. the second kenwood amp (the one powering the subwoofer) will be a dolby prologic amp. 80w per chanel RMS
Do you think this will improve my system?
Phillip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks