What's new

Using a pre-HDCP receiver (1 Viewer)

Milt Barber

Auditioning
Real Name
Milton Barber
I have an Onkyo HT-R940 (7.1, THX) that I have been using for years. I love the sound from this system, and I have the accompanying speakers built-in. Unfortunately, my projector died and I bought a new Edson without thinking about the fact that the receiver is pre-HDCP (in fact, it does’t even have HDMI in.)

Is there anything reasonable I can do to get this system to work?

Milt Barber

Auditioning
Real Name
Milton Barber
I have an Onkyo HT-R940 (7.1, THX) that I have been using for years. I love the sound from this system, and I have the accompanying speakers built-in. Unfortunately, my projector died and I bought a new Edson without thinking about the fact that the receiver is pre-HDCP (in fact, it does’t even have HDMI in.)

Is there anything reasonable I can do to get this system to work?

Typo: “Epson” not “Edison”

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since the receiver doesn't have hdmi inputs, that means HDCP doesn't even factor into it. If you have a source component with hdmi, you just run that directly to the projector and whatever audio output to the receiver. You can't get HD audio, unless your player has 7.1 analog outputs, otherwise you are limited to low res formats like DD and DTS. I'm being brief with my explanation, but you probably should look into updating your receiver. If you source component(s) don't have hdmi, then you're seriously sacrificing the picture your projector can produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks