What's new

Using a MBP with external monitor? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm considering the purchase of a MacBook Pro sometime in the next few months. Based on the price and the power of the Pro, it would probably replace both my Dell Laptop and homebuilt desktop I'm currently using. I'm looking more closely at the 15" model for portabilities sake, but would like to use it with an external monitor and keyboard while at home.

I know you can use external monitors via the DVI port, but will it be able to display at the native resolution of both the laptop monitor and the external monitor at the same time? I'd probably end up getting a Dell monitor or something similarly priced. The Apple Cinema Displays look nice but they seem way too $$$. Are there docking stations for the MBP?

edit: I looked a bit better at the Apple website and basically answered my question :)

I'm going to wait until MacWorld Expo before I decide on anything. I'm going to wait to see if an updated MBP (Possibly in black?) is introduced with more power for the same price or less :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brian, yes the MBP works with an external monitor at differing resolutions from your laptop screen. It's very robust and is supposed to operate up to a 30" monitor! I had it hooked up to a 17" CRT running at 1280x1024 while my laptop was at its native 1440x900.

I'm thinking of getting a 20" LCD for Xmas, for easier computing at my desk :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks