Using a Marantz SR580 for the Demodulator….?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Vader, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I just upgraded to a Denon AVR-2105 from a Marantz SR580, and lost AC-3 capability for LaserDisc in the doing. I was going to sell the Marantz for around $250, but found that an external RF Demodulator would cost at least as much. I am considering keeping the Marantz, running the LDs RF output to it, then to the Denon via the 6 analog pre-amp outs. Since the Marantz is somewhat “lacking” in bass management, I am concerned that this would affect the pre-amp out. Does anyone know if it is a straight pass-through from the internal demodulator to the pre-amp outs, bypassing any processing?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Since you are talking about an all analog chain between the two, I don't see what the concern is? Note that you may have limited or no bass management when using the m/c inputs on the 2105 either. This sort of input expects bass management to be done already.

The only downside might be if you wanted to get a universal player, then you would be using the m/c input on the 2105 for LDs.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    John, are you saying that the pre-amp inputs on the Denon are expecting that the bass management (or lack thereof) is already done my the Marantz (i.e. it's not just a raw signal being passed through to the Denon)? Forgive me, but what does 'm/c' stand for?

4. John Garcia

John
    m/c = multi-channel, ie; 5.1/6.1.

These inputs are for an already processed analog signal, and on most receivers these inputs allow little or no processing to be done to them. The idea being that the signal is already properly decoded and/or had bass management applied. The 580 should separate the signal into it's appropriate channels, though if it has no bass management at all (it should have at least basic Pro-logic BM), then you are likely stuck with what you get coming out of it.

On a receiver, the pre-outs are intended for external amps, which have no processing, so whatever needs to happen to that signal needs to happen before it is sent. Some receivers DO allow bass management of signal coming into this input, but I am not sure the 2105 is one of them.

Have you tried it out yet? I went through this recently with a friend of mine, and we ended up just going with stereo from the LD (but he doesn't have that many LDs).

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

Not yet. I will probably try it out this weekend (I'm trying to figure out where I'm gonna put the Marantz... it's previous home was taken by the Denon!).....[​IMG]

6. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    OK, slight problem.....

After looking a little more closely at the connections, I found that hooking this up in my situation could be a bad thing:

The outputs on the Marantz are pre-amp outputs, while those on the Denon are line-level inputs. Couldn't this configuration potentially fry some of the Denon's innards (feeding a variable strength signal into an input that is not designed for one)?

7. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Derek, I'd go with what John says, hook up via stereo and let your reciever do PLII or Neo 6 or whatever you want to use for surround. If you can get $250 for the SR580 go for it, that is the stereo I had before I replaced it with an SR5400, the 580 is not worth $250, so if you have a way to unload it for that then go for it.

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Do laser discs actually have 5.1 recordings even? I was thinking 5.1 DD wasn't out yet when laser discs were sort of common.

9. John Garcia

John
    There are some LDs with DTS that require the digital connection.

Two different names for the same thing.

10. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, Blaine....:)

Actually, the LD is hooked up via stereo for the stuff in Dolby Surround (I generally use NEO: 6), but I would like to have the option of AC-3 for the discs that have true 5.1 discrete tracks. Now what I am hearing is that PRE-OUT and LINE-LEVEL are compatable with each other (as opposed to SPEAKER-LEVEL). This would be great news, as I really hate to get rid of the Marantz.....

((doing the happy dance))
    Thank you, John! [​IMG]

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Well sort of, it was "disguised" as PCM on both LD and cd.Smart move for sure.

12. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

Lewis,

I'm not sure I follow. My LD player only has an AC-3 RF out, which must be connected to a demodulator (either the one in the SR580, or an outboard one), prior to entering a standard digital in. AFAIK, I can't take the AC-3 RF out directly to the Denon. Or maybe I'm completely missing what you are suggesting....? :b