using a graphic EQ with panny XR50?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave_vega, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

readign through the manual it tells you to connect the graphic EQ to the tape inputs..now will this be a analogue connection that will result in noise from the A/D conversion? or how does this work??

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Connected to the tape monitor loop, the EQ will only work with analog stereo sources. Digital signals are a separate and independent signal path.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Dave_vega

thanks wayne..is there any digital EQ I can use with this receiver? or am I into the whole pre/pro deal with seperate amps..

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

5. Dave_vega

awesome feisal..thanks a ton

edit..for some reason i cannot find the write-up..do you have a direct link?

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dave,

The info at the Newform Research links FiesalK provided is about using the XR-45 and Behringer DCX-2496 to actively power their speakers, so it probably won’t be of much use to your application.

To answer your earlier questions:

Not necessarily. The only way you’ll be able to equalize a modern 5.1 channel system is if the hardware is inserted between the pre–outs and main-ins, even if you only equalize the main L/R pair. This doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll need a pre-pro and separate amps, however; many receivers have pre-out and main-in connections for at least some channels. For the channels without a complete in/out loop, outboard amplifiers will be needed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Wayne,

I agree that there may be no budget PEQs with digital connections, but if I am not mistaken the Panny XR50 does have an optical out - wouldn't this carry 5.1 audio?

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/saxr50/saxr50.htm
    (what does it mean when it says "looped output")

9. Dave_vega

thanks for the explanation wayne..

feisal..the manual says the optical out for the XR50 is for recording DD, DTS, etc..on a recorder..what else you can do with it I have no clue..

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for looking that up, Dave – I figured that’s what the optical output was for.

Since it’s a record output, its level will not change with the main volume control, so it’s useless as an output for a digital equalizer – which as noted, would have to connect between the pre-outs and main-ins.

In a perfect digital world, a receiver would have a single 5.1 digital output (or perhaps an output for each channel) that could feed the digital inputs of a multi-channel equalizer, and the EQ would have digital outputs that would feed to the digital inputs of a multi-channel digital amplifier. As it is now, any digital equalizer you would want to use has to have analog and digital conversions on both ends.

The next best thing –perhaps even better, actually - is having digital equalization built into the receiver. This is actually becoming fairly common these days.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Wayne & Dave

thanks [​IMG]

would that be something like Yamaha's YPAO and Pioneer' MCACC?

12. Dave_vega

yeah I wish it has an EQ internally..would save me all this hassle..oh well..I do use my sound card's EQ on my HTPC for movies so I guess this is as good it gets..zoom player and WMP also have EQ's..this doesn't help with my satellite, CD and xbox input, but I am happy with the sound as is, so I guess i'll just count my cards as being lucky I am satisfied and move on..

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes. Actually, some of the upper-level models have the capability to tweak the automatic EQ settings.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I was reading about HK's new EQ system on the AVR635 receiver. It looked interesting and seemed to work differently than Yamaha's, Pioneer's, or Denon's implentations.

DJ