Using a CD-RW drive as my CD-ROM...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Mack, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

...once upon a time, I remember that it was considered poor form to use your CD burner as your regular CD drive. Something to do with wearing it out or some such nonsense.

Anywho, I've got a new burner that leaves my old primary CD-ROM in the dust, speedwise. Can I just eliminate the old CD drive and just use the burner as my allpurpose drive? I don't do any CD-to-CD burning as it is (I tend to burn images to HDD first and then back to the blank).

Anyone know?

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you have anything to worry about, Joel. I still have 2 drives in my computer, but I use the burner 95% of the time, also because it's faster. No problems here. Why buy it if it won't be used?

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I have a DVD and CD-RW in machine and I use the DVD most of the time just because of placement. I think most components have a pretty good mean time these days so you have nothing to worry about.

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have a Shuttle SS51G small-form-factor PC with a single 5.25" drive bay. I installed a combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive in it and everything works very well.

Keep the old CD-ROM drive as a backup. If the CD-RW breaks down, you won't be totally dead in the water.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

That's what I thought. Thanks kids, you rule!
    [​IMG]

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Did that too, I got a new (Well, old actually, the company I work for were throwing away computers) I needed a CD-Rom drive to put in there so I bought a new burner for my main machine and put my old drive in.

Burned about 15 Disks so far... No Coasters yet... And I use it as a reader too.