Using a 7 ch amp to power an SVS 20-39 CS+?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_W, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a 5 channel amp. I was wondering if it made since to buy a 7 channel amp and use channel 6 for a back speaker and channel 7 to drive the SVS. Does this make since? The Outlaw 770 is rated for 300 watts RMS x 7 @ 4 ohms. This should drive the SVS, right?

I was previously considering using the Sampson to drive the back speaker, but I would rather use the 770 (or something like it). Am I missing something?

Joe

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Joe,
    I am in a similar situation I have a parasound 2205 5 channel amp along with a svs 20-39+ and I use one of the channels on the parasound to power it. It too rates at 300watts @4ohms I does a great job but I think its kind of a waste to use an expensive amp on a sub[​IMG] not to mention the sampson can produce a bit more power for the sub. I am thinking of adding a second sub and a sampson 1000 cause I definitely would not give another channel for the second sub! you may want to consider the samson as well[​IMG]
    Good luck Bob

3. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

2 25-31cs+'s here. The sampson amp does a fantastic job running these beasts. You would see a pretty big improvement over that Parasound channel.

4. Joseph_W

Bob and Joel,

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a Sampson 1000 and love it. I was looking on Outlaws website and I realized if I bought a 950 with the 770, I could get the 7 channel 770 for only $300 more than the 5 channel 755 (it is a $500 difference if you don't purchase the 950). The Sampson 1000 is going for about $300 used. It looked like a wash and I would have a channel left in the 770 for a back speaker someday.
    HOWEVER, by the time I make a decision I'll have a hundred other options to consider.

Joe

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'd say it would be too much of a draw on those multichannel amps, which would bring down the power reserves for all your other speakers.

You need a beefy, separate amp to drive these passive subs.

I have an SVS CS-Plus sub due to arrive tomorrow (yippee!!) and I now have a Samson S700. I just know that I'll have to upgrade that amp in order to get the most out of the sub, which I'll do ASAP.

Dan

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I'd also recommend continuing to use your Sampson amp for the SVS. You'll get better performance from your other amp if you don't use it for subwoofers.
    Remember, however, that a full surround setup can include two back surround speakers, so if you got a seven-channel amp, you'd still be able to use all the channels. Just in case the idea of an unused amp channel bothers you. [​IMG]
    I've gone to three amps: an Aragon 8008x3 for the front, a Carver 705x for the four surrounds (one channel unused), and a Sampson with a single SVS (also one channel unused ... for now.) Plenty of headroom and dynamics when you need them.
    The first time my friends come over to see the home theater, they laugh their asses off when I start throwing all these switches to turn stuff on. By the time we get to the artillery fire in "Saving Private Ryan," the ghost thumping in "The Haunting" (DTS) or the depth charges in "U-571," they're not laughing anymore. [​IMG]

7. Joseph_W

OK, you guys convinced me, I'll keep the Sampson 1000.

Bob, I'm a 6.1 guy, I have no use for 7.1!! (Alright, alright, so I only pulled one set of rear wires when I built my HT. Running a second one would really be tough.)

What about powering my rear speaker, probably a B&W CDM SNT, with the Sampson 1000?

Joe

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Joseph,

I was thinking of doin the same thing you were going to do but I decided againts it and kept my Samson for my SVS. I am also only using one channel of the Samson. I will be adding a five channel amp in the future but will let the receiver power the two rear channels when I go to 7.1.