using 4-strand wire as 2-strand ... any benefit?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ted Lee, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all -

if i take a four-strand wire, then twist one pair together (for the +), and twist the other pair together (for the -) ... does that yield any benefit of any sort?

thanks,

ted

edit: oops...technically i guess i should have said conductor, not strand, but i think you get what i mean.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    For one, you'll have a thicker gauge. 4 conductor 16 ga. wire with pairs twister together is roughly the equivalent of 13 ga. 4 conductor 14 ga. wire with pairs twisted together is roughly 11 ga. Whether that alone makes a difference is a particular set-up is another matter and may lead to subjective opinions [​IMG] , which is not necessarily a bad thing, although they can be fun. Depends on what you are going to use it for - speaker wire?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks phil. just knowing the gauge increases is pretty cool ... i kinda thought that, but wasn't sure.

i may be pulling wire in my bedroom, but i can get 4-conductor wire really cheap ... so that's why i was wondering.

tbh, i doubt i'll notice any difference...but i know you know how that whole thing goes. [​IMG]

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor