What's new

using 4-strand wire as 2-strand ... any benefit? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

if i take a four-strand wire, then twist one pair together (for the +), and twist the other pair together (for the -) ... does that yield any benefit of any sort?

thanks,

ted

edit: oops...technically i guess i should have said conductor, not strand, but i think you get what i mean.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
For one, you'll have a thicker gauge. 4 conductor 16 ga. wire with pairs twister together is roughly the equivalent of 13 ga. 4 conductor 14 ga. wire with pairs twisted together is roughly 11 ga. Whether that alone makes a difference is a particular set-up is another matter and may lead to subjective opinions ;) , which is not necessarily a bad thing, although they can be fun. Depends on what you are going to use it for - speaker wire?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks phil. just knowing the gauge increases is pretty cool ... i kinda thought that, but wasn't sure.

i may be pulling wire in my bedroom, but i can get 4-conductor wire really cheap ... so that's why i was wondering.

tbh, i doubt i'll notice any difference...but i know you know how that whole thing goes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks