USHV Press Release: Rumble Fish - Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES ACADEMY AWARD(r)-WINNER FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA'S ACCLAIMED TEEN DRAMA STARRING MATT DILLON, NICOLAS CAGE, DIANE LANE, DENNIS HOPPER, LAURENCE FISHBURNE AND MICKEY ROURKE

RUMBLE FISH-SPECIAL EDITION

COMES TO DVD SEPTEMBER 13, 2005 WITH ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Universal City, California, August 23, 2005 - Rumble Fish, the ensemble coming-of-age film from Oscar(r)-winning director Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Outsiders) will be released as a Special Edition DVD on September 13, 2005. Based on the novel by S.E. Hinton (The Outsiders, Tex), Rumble Fish tells the story of two lawless Midwestern brothers trying to break free of an urban cycle of violence. Matt Dillon (Crash, There's Something About Mary) stars as Rusty-James, a young delinquent trying to follow in the footsteps of his older brother, legendary gang leader The Motorcycle Boy, played by Mickey Rourke (Sin City, Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Dennis Hopper (Speed, Apocalypse Now) co-stars as the brothers' alcoholic father along with Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun, Unfaithful) in one of her first major roles, as Rusty-James' teenage siren girlfriend.

"I love Rumble Fish. I got to imagine it and make it as I wanted," says Coppola. "It comes from very personal memories and though I may not totally understand it, I always love to watch and listen to it. If I were to make more films they would be more in the direction of Rumble Fish."

Lyrically shot in black-and-white and featuring a pulsating score by Stewart Copeland (drummer and co-founder of rock group The Police), the film also contains early performances from Nicolas Cage (National Treasure, Gone in 60 Seconds), Vincent Spano (Alive, City of Hope) Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix, Mystic River) and Sofia Coppola (The Godfather Part III).

Coppola's 1984 film was recognized for its innovative cinematography and for the director's fresh approach to the angst-riddled delinquent genre. The DVD features a digitally re-mastered soundtrack and a new high resolution transfer supervised by cinematographer Stephen Burum, who served as director of photography on the original film. Rumble Fish: Special Edition DVD is priced at $19.98 SRP.

ALL- NEW BONUS FEATURES

. On Location in Tulsa - The Making of Rumble Fish

. The Percussion-Based Score- Footage and interviews with Stewart Copeland, former drummer of The Police and composer of the film's soundtrack

. Don't Box Me In- Music video of the Stan Ridgway song featured in the film

. Deleted Scenes

. Audio Commentary - With director Francis Ford Coppola

SYNOPSIS

Rusty-James (Matt Dillon) is a troubled, mid-western juvenile delinquent living in the shadow of his older brother and legendary local gang leader, The Motorcycle Boy (Mickey Rourke). The Motorcycle Boy unexpectedly returns home after several months in California just as Rusty-James is squaring off with death in a dangerous street battle. From the moment of his arrival, it's clear that time away from the streets has changed The Motorcycle Boy, who has no interest in reliving his notorious past. His new attitude, coupled with information The Motorcycle Boy reveals to Rusty-James about the brothers' absent mother, forces the younger boy to reconsider his own path. With his alcoholic father (Dennis Hopper) oblivious and unable to offer guidance, and his friend (Nicolas Cage) and girlfriend (Diane Lane) abandoning him, Rusty-James decides to follow The Motorcycle Boy's example and embark on one final fight for freedom from the chains of the past. For one brother, it will mean a new beginning. For the other, it will be the end of the line.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Francis Ford Coppola
    Screenwriters: S.E. Hinton, Francis Ford Coppola
    Based on the novel by: S.E. Hinton
    Producers: Doug Claybourne, Fred Roos
    Executive Producer: Francis Ford Coppola
    Associate Producers: Gian-Carlo Coppola, Roman Coppola
    Director of Photography: Stephen H. Burum
    Production Designer: Dean Tavoularis
    Editor: Barry Malkin
    Costume Designer: Marge Bowers
    Original Music: Stewart Copeland, Stan Ridgway
    Cast: Matt Dillon, Nicolas Cage, Diane Lane, Mickey Rourke, Vincent Spano, Laurence Fishburne, Dennis Hopper

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD
    Street Date: 9/13/ 2005
    Pre-Order Date: 8/9/ 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $19.98 SRP
    Selection Numbers: 26752
    Running Time: 1 Hour and 35 Minutes
    Layers: Dual (Single Sided)
    Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Rating: R
    Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround/Captioned; French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo/Subtitled; Spanish Subtitles

2. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

I can't wait for this release. I have always wanted "RUMBLE FISH" and "THE OUTSIDERS" in glorious remastered anamorphic video and DD 5.1 audio and now they are almost here! The extras on both "RUMBLE FISH" and "THE OUTSIDERS" look like they'll be great as well.

Mickey Rourke was fab in this and Diane Lane is so hot!

One of Coppola's best IMHO. [​IMG]

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

I remember it well.

- Steve

4. Martin Jeeves

I received this Saturday and I have to tell you that the new "RUMBLE FISH" Special Edition DVD is superb! It is awesome even!

PICTURE: The remastered anamorphic picture quality is stunning! It is so detailed and 3 dimensional! The cinematography literally comes alive and you feel you could walk through the screen and be in the movie. On my 55 inch DLP screen this DVD is one of the best looking transfers of an older 80's film that I have ever seen and it blows the old DVD releases picture out of the water. A huge improvement and an allround great picture for this visually stunning film!

SOUND: The sound quality is also superb. The film has obviously had a lot of care taken over it and this all new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is superb. Every sound seems to be coming from all around you while the dialogue is crystal clear and nicely anchored to the centre. The surrounds are consistently in use for both effects and the films weird and wonderful score. Again a huge improvement over the original DVD.

MENUS: The DVD menu's are classy and are perfect for the film. They are not highly animated but they scroll through the films all-star cast so everyone gets a look in. I like DIANE LANE in her bikini best on the "Special Features" menu!

EXTRA FEATURES: We have a tremendous running commentary by director FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA. This is amongst his best commentaries and is maybe even better than his "Godfather" commentaries. He obviously loves "RUMNLE FISH" and is very passionate about it. Everything is covered including funny anecdotes, getting the cool cast together, the cinematography choices and the story itself. A great commentary by someone who knows how to do them right!

We next have a wonderful "Making of..." documentary which runs about 30 minutes. It is very insightful and has vintage behind the scenes clips and interviews with Cage, Dillon, Rourke, Fishburne and Diane Lane. There is also producer and crew input. A very good documentary of this type. Well put together and very informative!

We than have an excellent "Percussion Score Featurette" which is presented in anamorphic video. This includes very interesting interviews with the films mixing engineer and Stewart Copeland of the Police. He talks about working with Coppola and they revisit the original tapes to show how the films weird and wonderful soundtrack was created. Excellent featurette on an unsung part of film production.

The "Deleted Scenes" are frustrating. There are six in total and they run a fair while as whole chunks of footage was deleted. (Especially the character of Steve). The deleted scenes are all uniformly excellent scenes that would not be out of place in the finished film. The scenes are very well acted and well produced but you are left wishing that they had used "seamless branching" to give you the option of putting them back in. Sadly the quality is not as great as the film itself and they are presented non-anamorphic and with a time code at the bottom. Worth seeing though.

We than have a good quality trailer (the same as the original DVD), some DVD credits and the Stan Ridgway "Don't Box Me In" video presented fullframe and with excellent picture quality and sound quality. The cover is similar to the last DVD but makes a bigger thing of the films all star cast.

All in all, this is an excellent Special Edition of a strange and beautiful film that you will either love or hate. It is a HUGE improvement over the old release in everyway possible and the picture, sound and supplements are superb! Highly recommended for fans of the film, the cast or Coppola!

5. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

Glad to hear about that. I will definately be picking this up when I can.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Fabulous

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

very good news indeed

cheers

8. Martin Jeeves

For those interested:

Here is a really good review of Coppola's all new 2 disc "THE OUTSIDERS - THE COMPLETE NOVEL" over at DVDTown: http://www.dvdtown.com/review/outsid...el/16885/3106/

I see this as a companion piece to "RUMBLE FISH" with many of the same actors... Matt Dillon, Diane Lane...

9. Martin Jeeves

10. Martin Jeeves

11. Martin Jeeves

That's weird. It's spelt right now.

Anyway, I am gonna watch this again this weekend as a double bill with the new "Outsiders" DVD![​IMG]