USHV Press Release: Pitch Black

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 17, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Vin Diesel Stars in the Pulse-Pounding Action-Adventure

PITCH BLACK

Arriving on DVD June 1, 2004 from Universal Studios Home Video with New Bonus Features and a Free Movie Ticket Offer to see The Chronicles of Riddick in Theaters

Universal City, CA, May 17, 2004 - The original sci-fi hit that first introduced the world to the character of Riddick, Pitch Black, comes to DVD June 1, 2004 loaded with new and exciting bonus materials and a FREE movie ticket offer to see The Chronicles of Riddick feature film in theaters June 11th. Pitch Black, the futuristic action-adventure hit from director David Twohy, features an impressive cast including Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious), Radha Mitchell (Phone Booth) and Cole Hauser (2 Fast 2 Furious). The pulse-pounding excitement of Diesel's ultimate anti-hero, Riddick - an escaped convict with the ability to see in the dark - is captured in the DVD's all-new bonus features which deliver a comprehensive, all-access pass into the thrilling world of The Chronicles of Riddick. The Pitch Black DVD is priced at $26.98 S.R.P. and is available in a Rated widescreen and full frame, as well as an Unrated Director's Cut version in both widescreen and full frame.

Dazzling Arsenal of Bonus Features

A comprehensive array of bonus materials offers consumers a complete guide to the Riddick universe. The action-packed features include:
    * A new introduction to the film by writer/director David Twohy.
    * The Chronicles of Riddick Virtual Encyclopedia: *Cole Hauser hosts this exploration of Mercs, the Slam, and other unique elements of the Riddick universe.
    * Johns' Chase Log: *Follow the bounty hunter Johns (Cole Hauser) on his month-long hunt for Riddick. Includes excerpts from his personal log chronicling Riddick's final days of freedom before his capture, leading into the opening scene of Pitch Black.
    * Dark Fury: Advancing the Arc: *An inside look at the making of The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury, the visionary new film by acclaimed animator Peter Chung (The Animatrix "Matriculated", MTV's Aeon Flux).
    * A View Into the Dark: *David Twohy and Vin Diesel explore the character of Riddick.
    * The Game is On: Join the ride of Riddick's earlier life as he attempts to bust out of a triple-max security prison and get a sneak peek at the new The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay interactive game.
    * The Making of Pitch Black
    * Feature Commentaries: *Vin Diesel, Cole Hauser and director David Twohy offer scene-by-scene insights into the film - AND -- The film's director, producer and visual effects supervisor discuss their exciting work on the film.

Fans of Pitch Black Will Love the FREE Movie Ticket Offer to see The Chronicles of Riddick in Theaters

Audiences and critics cheered when Pitch Black arrived in theaters in 2000. *USA Today called the sci-fi hit, "the best excuse to root for the bad guy since Arnold in the original Terminator." *All consumers who purchase Pitch Black will receive a FREE full priced adult movie ticket to see The Chronicles of Riddick feature film when it debuts in theaters June 11, 2004 (while supplies last; offer expires June 27, 2004).

Synopsis
    When their ship crash-lands on a remote planet, the marooned passengers soon learn that escaped convict Riddick (Vin Diesel) isn't the only thing they have to fear. Deadly creatures lurk in the shadows, waiting to attack in the dark, and the planet is rapidly plunging into the utter blackness of a total eclipse. With the body count rising, the doomed survivors are forced to turn to Riddick with his eerie eyes to guide them through the darkness to safety. With time running out, there's only one rule: Stay in the light.

CAST &*FILMMAKERS

Director: David Twohy
    Screenwriter: Jim Wheat, Ken Wheat, David Twohy
    Producers: Tom Engelman
    Executive Producers: Ted Field, Scott Kroopf, Anthony Winly
    Director of Photography: *David Eggby
    Production Designer: Graham Grace Walker
    Editor: Rick Shaine
    Cast: Vin Diesel, Radha Mitchell, Cole Hauser, Keith David, Lewis Fitz-Gerald, Claudia Black, Rhiana Griffith, John Moore

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

DVD
    Street Date: June 1, 2004
    Order Close: April 27, 2004
    Rating: R (for sci-fi violence, gore and language)
    Suggested Retail Price: $26.98 SRP
    DVD Selection Number: 24721 Rated Widescreen; 25422 Rated Full Frame; 24722 Unrated Director's Cut Widescreen; 25423 Unrated Director's Cut Full Frame
    Running Time: Rated: 1 hour 49 minutes, Unrated: 1 hour 52 minutes
    Number of Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen; 1.33:1 Full Frame
    Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
    Bonus Material:
    * An Introduction by David Twohy
    * The Game Is On
    * Johns' Chase Log
    * Feature Commentary with Vin Diesel, Cole Hauser and director David Twohy
    * Feature Commentary with director David Twohy, Producer Tom Engleman and Visual Effects Supervisor Peter Chiang
    * The Making of Pitch Black
    * Dark Fury: Advancing The Arc
    * The Chronicles of Riddick Virtual Encyclopedia
    * A View Into The Dark

2. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Can someone PLEASE tell me if the Pitch Black special that aired on Sci-Fi Channel is one of the features on this set. Their descriptions are too generalized for me to tell. Thanks.

3. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

The added features over the two previous releases are certainly tempting.

My only concern is that the press release only mentions that the disc(s?) is dual layered, but there was no mention of how many discs and if it is only one, will it be double sided?

If it is just one SS-DL disc then I can only imagine the audio and PQ will suffer from aggressive low-bit rate compression in order to have all these special features plus five audio tracks, of which three are full 5.1 DD tracks, all on one disc.

For audio minded folks, they might want to consider holding on to the original release due to its full bit rate DTS track.

4. Roger J

Roger J Stunt Coordinator

A couple of things to point out here....

Most importantly, the DTS track on the "Unrated Director's Cut" edition that was released initially is not full bit rate. It is 754 kb/s (I just checked). Also, IMO, the DTS track ain't really all that. Even accounting for the fact that the DD track is louder overall (hmmm), the DD track sounds to be a fuller, smoother audio presentation but this is difficult to judge properly with the level differences.

As to the "agressive low-bit rate compression", I doubt it will be any worse than the previous release. Depending on what exactly the new supplements are, the current disc is not without space limitations itself. In addition to the 448 DD track and the 754 DTS track, the two commentaries (192 each) are also present. There is a short "making of" featurette (~5:00), about 5 minutes of trailers, a 20 minute piece on Pitch Black rave parties, and various other smaller features.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with the conclusion, though, that the current disc is just fine. While the upcoming disc may well be just as good as the current version, the movie and soundtracks on the current version use up over 6.7 GB which is a rather large file size in my experience. I doubt the new one will be any better, even if it is not worse.

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

That would mean if the new version is on a single disc then it most certainly will be worse (in A/V quality) for two obvious reasons. As you pointed out, the old disc is already maximizing the capacity of the disc, yet the new edition has an extra DD 5.1 track (Spanish) as well as a DD 5.1 French track, and an extensive list of new special features that look to consist of considerably more data than the original release.

If the original release is already full, then... Houston, we have a problem.

I will be very surprised if this isn't at least a DS-DL disc. Otherwise there is no doubt that the original will be less compressed.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I think I'll just stick with the current disc.

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Not really. The new features effectively sub for the inane rave-party feature on the old disc.

And, Drew, as far as I can tell, the DVD still won't have the excellent Sci-Fi Channel special, "Into Pitch Black." That special ran about 45 minutes, so they'd have to add another disc to include it.

8. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Thanks, then I won't be upgrading it after all. I don't expect much from Universal these days, but I thought including that special would be a pretty obvious choice. Oh well...

9. Roger J

Roger J Stunt Coordinator

True of the soundtracks, but don't forget that that DTS track hs been dropped. The difference in data used on the current disc with a DD 5.1, a DTS 5.1, and two commentaries is only 128 kb/s less off of the total bit rate, which is pretty much inconsequential. The equivalent of two subtitle tracks.

All this aside, the new disc is really just another of many crass attempts to resell something in order to promote something else. Whether this new disc is any better or worse than the current disc is not really the point and it certainly is not what Universal is thinking about when they take the same stuff they released a few years ago, stick it in a new box and try to make people think it is something "new".

10. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Well, that's Universal's business model, so that's not really a surprise--although one could accept such cross-promotion if it were done along the lines of the fabulous Battlestar Galactica set. But you're right. This one entails a bunch of new extras that mostly serve to promote the new project and do little to expand upon the movie at hand.

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I'll pick this up, since I didn't get the original release.

12. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

They should have kept the Rave Party in the extras. If there was more of that I would probably buy this release.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Ditto.
    I didn't buy the first release, but having Netflixed it, the inclusion of that feature would have cemented my purchase of this release.