1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

USHV Press Release: Mullholand Drive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Universal Studios Home Video Announces
    MULHOLLAND DRIVE
    Academy Award Nomination - "Best Director"
    The Most Acclaimed Film of the Year Cruises to
    DVD and VHS April 9, 2002
    Universal City, California, February 14 2002 - Hailed by over a 150 critics as one of the "Top 10 Best Films" of the year and an Academy Award nominee for "Best Director", the erotically-charged thriller, Mulholland Drive, cruises onto DVD for $24.95 MAP and VHS rental on April 9, 2002. Order close is March 5 for the DVD and March 19 for the VHS.
    Mulholland Drive was also nominated for four Golden Globe Awards including "Best Picture - Drama", "Best Director," "Best Screenplay" and "Best Original Score" and voted "Best Picture" by the National Society of Film Critics, the New York Film Critics Circle, the Boston Society of Film Critics and the Broadcast Film Critics Association.
    Other accolades include "Best Director" for the inimitable David Lynch by the Los Angeles Film Critics, the Chicago Film Critics Association, the Boston Society of Film Critics, the New York Film Critics Online, Screen International and at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival.
    Naomi Watt's star turn was also selected as "Breakthrough Performance of the Year" by the National Board of Review.
    Written and directed by David Lynch, Mulholland Drive features some of the year's freshest, most unpredictable performances by newcomers Watts, Justin Theroux
    (Zoolander), and Laura Elena-Harring (Little Nicky). Veteran stars Ann Miller, Robert Forster, and Lee Grant co-star, adding a touch of Hollywood mystique to one of the most original and unusual films of the year.
    Called "Hypnotic" by Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, "A maniacal thrill!" by the New York Times and "Dangerous and addictive" by the L.A. Daily News, Mulholland Drive has impressed film reviewers and audiences alike, becoming one of the most talked-about, sensual and controversial films of the year, filled with baffling surprises and unforgettable dreamlike images. As Peter Travers, Rolling Stone writes: "There's nothing like this baby anywhere! This sinful pleasure is a fresh triumph for Lynch, and one of the best films of the year. Visionary daring, swooning eroticism and colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss!"...
    For the remainder of this press release or to obtain artwork and screeners please log on to our website at www.ushvpublicity.com

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

April is sooner than the rumoured May, but there's no specs. Of course it's widescreen, but what about DTS, and the like?

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

So why are all the online stores fleecing us for $32.98 RRP, when it's actually $24.95?

Ah well, as long as I get it.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jon, that price in the press release is the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP), not the Suggested Retail Price (SRP).

5. Jon Robertson

Ah - that'll teach me to skim-read.

6. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

"colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss!"

Wow, Travers must have reached deep into his bag of metaphors for that one...

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Thanks for the info! I had a good indication that April was the official time, but it's good to have a solid source.

9. Jon Robertson

It's so rare I'll buy a brand new film as soon as it comes out - the last instance of this was Magnolia, but this is one I knew was a film I'd watch again and again and again, as soon as I stepped out of the cinema.

10. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

The Silencio Theater sequence is simply incredible.

This disc will be mine when it streets. Now just give me my damn Lost Highway DVD.

11. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

This is interesting. DTS was listed in an earlier announcement and was listed at DVDEmpire as well. Now that info is gone. My friend saw the Academy screener and posted his review at AVS Forum. He saw some objectionable posterization. I wonder if the DTS track has been dropped so it doesn't impact picture quality? I'll buy MD anyway, but I was really looking forward to that DTS track (MD was not released with a DTS track theatrically).