USHV Press Release: MONK Season Three

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    The complete third season of 'the best detective show to come along in decades' (The New York Post) hits streets on DVD July 5th.

TV’s most brilliant detective is back, and he’s ready to battle any crime… as long as it doesn’t involve germs, heights or other people! Emmy Award and Golden Globe winner Tony Shalhoub returns to DVD in all 16 third season episodes of the funny, fresh and quirky series, MONK. Rejoin Adrian Monk, the defective detective, who must overcome his obsessive-compulsive disorder and investigate the death of his wife, Trudy. Still hoping to be reinstated in the San Francisco Police Department, Monk continues to use his sharp intelligence, photographic memory and ever-present hand wipes to solve even the dirtiest cases. At his side are Captain Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine), Lieutenant Disher (Jason Gray-Stanford), Sharona Fleming (Bitty Schram) and newcomer Natalie Teeger (Traylor Howard), and together they take on some daunting opponents, including the Mafia, the FBI and a possibly murderous chimpanzee. Monk’s back on the case and better than ever in this hilarious third season, which includes five obsessive brand-new featurettes!

The MONK: SEASON THREE DVD includes bonus features such as “Life Before Monk,” the official back story of Adriank Monk, Capt. Stottlemeyer and Lt. Disher, cast and crew reveals of favorite scenes, and more
  2. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Oct 2, 2004
    I totally lost interest in this series after they removed Sharonna. After watching a couple of episodes with her bland replacement I realized what a huge part of the show Sharonna played.
    So, I stopped watching Monk and never looked back.
    The producers/network made a huge error letting her go, imo.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Sep 28, 1998
    At what point in S3 did Bitty Schram leave? Half way?

We have watched all of S1 and S2 on DVD (never watch it on TV) and will probably pick up S3 too, but I could see how the show would suffer without her.
  4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Dec 31, 2003
    Bitty left in the half way point of S3.

In my opinion, Monk came dangerous close to jumping the shark this last season. Not because Bitty left (I like the new assistant), but because the scripts started running out of steam.

In the 1st two seasons, the show was a clever, witty mystery featuring a guy with OCD. In the last season it seemed the writers wanted to focus solely on Monk's OCD for comic effect and didn't put much effort into writing good stories. It was becoming a self parody.

S4 starts next month. I really hope things turn around. At it's peak, Monk was one of the most refreshing and entertaining things on TV. Let's hope it becomes that way again.

5. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Sep 20, 1999
    I got season 1 as a blind buy not to long ago... then I just had to get season 2 when I finished season 1. I am planning on getting season 3 when it is released. It is a shame Bitty left... but I will still give it a shot.

I have been waiting each season for the dvds but think I may start recording season 4 that way I can continue season 4 live once I finish season 3 [​IMG]