USHV Press Release: "Lost In Translation"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein

Touching "Two Big Thumbs Up" Comedy with Over 80 "Four-Star" Rave Reviews, Debuts on DVD and VHS February 3, 2004

"Unmistakably funny!" - Los Angeles Times
    "Bill Murray is nothing short of great!" - Ebert and Roeper

Universal City, CA, December 23, 2003 - A Golden Globe(r) nominee for Best Motion Picture [Musical or Comedy], Lost in Translation, one of the year's best-reviewed films, from director/writer/producer Sofia Coppola, debuts on DVD and VHS February 3, 2004. Golden Globe(r) nominee Bill Murray (The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore) gives "the performance of his career" (Access Hollywood) and is "flat-out hilarious" (Rolling Stone) in the film. Hailed by critics as Coppola's most extraordinary work yet, Lost in Translation received five Golden Globe(r) nominations including Best Motion Picture [Musical or Comedy], Best Performance by an Actor [Musical or Comedy] (Bill Murray), Best Performance by an Actress [Musical or Comedy] (Scarlett Johansson), Best Director (Sofia Coppola), and Best Screenplay (Sofia Coppola). *In addition, the New York Film Critics Circle recently named Bill Murray Best Actor and Sofia Coppola Best Director, while the Boston Society of Film Critics cited them and also named Scarlett Johansson Best Actress. The Lost in Translation DVD allows viewers to discover why "getting lost never felt so good" (US Weekly.) Priced to own at $26.98 S.R.P. ($19.95 M.A.P.), the release has a pre-order close of January 6, 2004.

Bob Harris (Bill Murray) and Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) are two Americans in Tokyo. Bob is a movie star in town to shoot a whiskey commercial, while Charlotte is a young woman tagging along with her workaholic photographer husband (Giovanni Ribisi). *Unable to sleep, Bob and Charlotte cross paths one night in the luxury hotel bar. This chance meeting develops into a surprising friendship. *Charlotte and Bob venture through Tokyo, having often hilarious encounters with its citizens, and ultimately discover a new belief in life's possibilities. *Shot entirely on location in Japan, Sofia Coppola's latest film is a valentine to the nature of close friendships and to the city of Tokyo. *The film, from her original screenplay, contemplates the unexpected connections we make that might not last - yet stay with us forever.

Inspired by Coppola's time spent in Japan, the film features hilarious performances by Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson (The Horse Whisperer, Ghost World), Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan) and Anna Faris (Scary Movie 1, 2, 3). *Lost in Translation was also awarded the "Golden Athena" (Best Film) award at the 2003 Athens International Film Festival.

The Lost in Translation DVD will include many entertaining bonus features including "Found in Conversation," an intimate and exclusive look into the making of the film through dialogue between director / writer / producer Sofia Coppola and Bill Murray. *Interviewed in Rome, they exchange thoughts about filming on-location in Japan, their favorite scenes, and why Coppola targeted Murray for the role. *The DVD also contains deleted scenes; "Lost on Location," a behind-the-scenes documentary which features exclusive footage shot by the filmmakers on DV camera from location scouting through the first days of production and beyond; "Mathew's Best Hit TV," an extended version of the hilarious Japanese TV show; and the music video "City Girl," by Kevin Shields.

Director: Sofia Coppola
    Screenwriter: Sofia Coppola
    Producers: Ross Katz, Sofia Coppola
    Executive Producers: Francis Ford Coppola, Fred Roos
    Associate Producer: Mitch Glazer
    Director of Photography: Lance Acord
    Production Designers: Anne Ross, K.K. Barrett
    Editor: Sarah Flack
    Cast: Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Giovanni Ribisi, Anna Faris, Fumihiro Hayashi.

Street Date: February 3, 2004
    Order Close: January 6, 2004
    Copyright: 2003 Universal Pictures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Rating: R (for some sexual content.)
    Suggested Retail Price: None
    Selection Numbers: 62223; 24311 (VHS/WS DVD Combo Pack)
    Running Time: 102 Minutes
    Technical Information: VHS / Color / Digital Stereo Surround HiFi / CC *

Street Date: February 3, 2004
    Order Close: January 6, 2004
    Rating: R (Rated R for some sexual content.)
    Suggested Retail Price: $26.98 SRP/$19.95 MAP
    DVD Selection Number: 23957 Widescreen, 24686 Full Frame
    Running Time: 102 Minutes
    Number of Layers: Dual layered
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen; 1.33:1 Full Frame.
    Technical Info: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround/5.1 DTS, Dual Layer
    Bonus Material:
    * "Found in Conversation"
    * Deleted Scenes
    * "Lost on Location" featurette, shot largely in Tokyo
    * "Mathew's Best Hit TV" extended scene
    * Kevin Shields "City Girl" music video
    * Theatrical Trailer
  2. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Jul 19, 2003
    Looking forward to this, one of the best movies of the year!
  3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Jun 30, 2002
    Sounds cool. I'll at least rent this one.
  4. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Oct 10, 2000
    This is truly one of the greatest films I have ever seen. I cried at the end of the first three screenings I attended for this film, it was so powerful. As a film student, I had been researching Michelangelo Antonioni (L'Avventura, Red Desert, Beyond the Clouds, etc) before the movie came out and I was becoming increasingly influenced by his style of filmmaking. I had no idea I would be seeing that style again so soon.

To see a contemporary, and quite recent, filmmaker using these techniques in American cinema is simply astounding to me. Of course, Coppola had to seek outside investors to get the film off the ground... but look where it is today. An extremely successful film, critically and financially (for a limited release that is), and it's already starting to sweep the award ceremonies.

I was also lucky enough to visit Japan for the first time earlier this year. Seeing Tokyo again as the film portrayed it was so amazing and it felt like I was really there again. Believe it or not, I came *this* close to staying at the hotel where the film was shot. I can even recognize some of the places I had been while watching the movie. I can't recommend the experience of visiting that country enough. Seeing Sofia Coppola's masterpiece is the perfect place to start too, trust me.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer

Jun 10, 2003
    Josh Steinberg
    Lost In Translation is a brilliant film, and easily the best "small" film I've seen this year. (I say small not to be derrogatory, but I would think it fair to say Lost In Translation and Return Of The King belong in seperate catagories.)

Brilliant performances all around, Bill Murray giving an amazing performance that just stays with you, a great script, and perfect direction.

I liked "The Virgin Suicides," but to me, it felt like it never got off the ground - an interesting experiment worth watching that didn't quite work.

Lost In Translation works. I remember walking into my local movie theater and buying a ticket, since it was the only thing starting right at that moment, and how thankful I was to have seen it. The movie stayed in my thoughts for an incredibly long time afterwards as well. I can't wait to own this one.
  6. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Jun 29, 2000
    I can't wait. I just saw this again at theater that has been showing the film since 14 September.
  7. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

May 12, 1999
    i am really looking forward to this release. i am a big fan of Bill Murray the comedic actor from his days in SNL and early comedy movies and am very glad to see how much he has grown as a more serious actor in some really great films.
  8. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Jan 10, 2002
    February 3, 2004 = Kevin's dream DVD release day

Technically I still haven't seen the entire movie. A friend and I just missed about the first 10 minutes. Overall I loved it in parts though some parts I must admit I was a bit bored. Just a bit though. I'm sure I may change that opinion with a 2nd viewing.