1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

USHV Press Release: KING KONG

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE SPECTACULAR GROUNDBREAKING ACTION-PACKED
    ADVENTURE EPIC OF OUR TIME!

NOMINATED FOR FOUR ACADEMY AWARDS®
    FROM OSCAR®-WINNING DIRECTOR PETER JACKSON

KING KONG

Roars Onto DVD on March 28, 2006 From Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Available as a Single Disc and Limited Edition Two-Disc DVD Set Containing Never-Before-Seen Featurettes, Extensive Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Specially-Commissioned Package Artwork

“The jaw-dropping, eye-popping, heart-stopping movie epic

we’ve been waiting for all year.” –Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Universal City, California, February 27, 2006 – Packed with heart-pounding action, breathtaking visual effects and one of 2005’s most acclaimed box-office blockbusters, King Kong, this year’s most highly anticipated DVD, arrives in stores March 28, 2006 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Three-time Academy Award® winner Peter Jackson, director of the landmark Lord of the Rings trilogy, sets a new standard for unforgettable suspense filled with nail-biting danger, high emotion and amazing creatures beyond imagination including the legendary beast as never before seen.

The DVD, featuring collectable original package artwork specially designed by the Oscar®-winning artists at WETA Digital Ltd, the production company behind the film’s dazzling visual effects, is available in both the thrilling original theatrical version and a Special Edition two-disc set that gives audiences a whole new “Kong” experience. Featuring a fascinating inside look into the creation of the film’s two cinematic worlds – Skull Island and 1933 New York City – the Special Edition offers an unparalleled opportunity to share Peter Jackson’s creative genius and the cast and crew’s passion in bringing the timeless story to the screen. The single disc version is available at $29.98 SRP and the two-disc Special Edition is priced at $30.98 SRP.

“King Kong is one of those rare cinematic achievements that reminds us of the truly magical power of movies,” says Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “From the first frame, Peter Jackson and his team take us on an unforgettable adventure that not only thrills, but also touches us on a deep, emotional level. We are extremely proud to be able to bring this one-of-a-kind film to home entertainment audiences.”

“The original King Kong inspired me to become a filmmaker,” said director/producer Peter Jackson. “It’s a story that had a profound personal impact and shepherding its return to the big screen has been a dream come true. Contributing to the DVD afforded me the opportunity to share this amazing experience with audiences and highlight the incredible achievements of our exceptional cast and crew.”

King Kong features a stellar cast including Oscar® nominee Naomi Watts (21 Grams), Jack Black (School of Rock), Oscar® winner Adrien Brody (The Pianist), Colin Hanks (Orange County), and Andy Serkis (the Lord of the Rings trilogy). Director and producer Jackson co-wrote the update on the classic 1933 film with his longtime collaborators and fellow Oscar® winners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. The film has earned over $215 million at the box-office, been honored on countless “Best Movie” lists, and is nominated for four Academy Awards®, including Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing. A must-see and must-have action adventure epic for movie lovers of all ages, King Kong marks a quantum leap in thrilling home entertainment.

A timeless tale of love and survival, King Kong is the story of a desperate young actress, Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts), and an ambitious and unscrupulous movie producer, Carl Denham (Jack Black), who travel to a mysterious jungle island. There they discover an extraordinary lost world, and encounter Kong, a gigantic, savage gorilla who is unexpectedly smitten with the leading lady. But it is their mutual empathy and affection that eventually lead to the beast’s tragic downfall.

KING KONG CAPTURES CRITICAL KUDOS

King Kong’s dazzling visual effects, exhilarating action and commanding performances enthralled major movie critics across the country. Of the film, Peter Travers of Rolling Stone says “Here is the jaw-dropping, eye-popping, heart-stopping movie epic we’ve been waiting for all year.” Lou Lumenick of the New York Post states “Prepare to be blown away” while Devin Gordon of Newsweek exclaims “Thrilling! Epic!”

“King Kong rules over all others. As big, breathlessly exciting and relentlessly thrilling as any epic adventure the screen has seen in many years!” pronounces Pete Hammond of Maxim. Scott Manz of “Access Hollywood” labels King Kong “A rip-roaring, rousing, exciting cinematic adventure!” while Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times calls the film “Four stars. King Kong is magnificent entertainment” and “One of the year’s best films!”

BEHIND THE SCENES OF A BREATHTAKING BLOCKBUSTER

The two-disc King Kong Special Edition DVD allows viewers unparalleled access to the world of visionary filmmaker Peter Jackson as he creates this larger-than-life epic adventure for the ages. Thrilling behind-the-scenes features bring this instant classic to viewers in a whole new way with exclusive content that follows the film’s stars and crew in action as they bring this timeless tale to the screen.

Special Introduction by Peter Jackson
    Post Production Diaries – Director Peter Jackson takes you on an unforgettable journey with Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Adrien Brody and the crew of King Kong as they reveal virtually every aspect of post production on this groundbreaking film, nearly three hours of exclusive behind the scenes footage!
    Skull Island: A Natural History – Travel to treacherous Skull Island with Peter Jackson and his crew! From its mysterious origins to its reclusive inhabitants and jaw-dropping creatures, uncover the fascinating facts about one of the last uncharted places on earth.
    Kong’s New York, 1933 – 1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State building and more.
    KONG-SIZED PARTNERSHIPS

The DVD release of King Kong will be supported by substantial cross-promotional partnerships that rank among the most extensive and wide reaching for a DVD release. Highlights include:

- Papa John’s Pizza - The DVD release will be communicated on 1.4 million pizza boxes, and also via point-of-sale at 2,600+ Papa John's locations nationwide. Thirteen million pizza box toppers will contain a $3.00 coupon off the King Kong DVD. The campaign will run March 27th through April 30th and will be supported via national TV advertising, direct mail and online.

- Glad - Glad Force Flex “Kong” retail displays will be featured in thousands of retail locations nationwide beginning April 1st with a coupon featuring $3.00 savings on the King Kong DVD with purchase of two Glad trash products. The promotion includes national TV, print and online.

- Hostess - Beginning March 23rd through April 22nd, over four million Banana Twinkies and 350,000 Banana Nut Mini Muffin packages will feature integrated King Kong imagery, with point-of-sale in over 30,000 retail locations nationwide. The campaign will be supported by a national full-page FSI, which will garner over 25MM impressions, as well as print and online media.

- Orville Redenbacher’s® Gourmet® Microwave Popcorn - One million packages of Orville Redenbacher's® Gourmet® Microwave Popcorn and 2,000 retail displays nationwide will tout a $5.00 mail-in rebate with the purchase of the King Kong DVD. The campaign begins March 15th through June 30th and will be supported online.

- Kellogg’s - Exposure on over 5 million boxes of Kellogg's cereal including Kellogg's Raisin Bran, Kellogg's Corn Pops, Kellogg's Apple Jacks and Kellogg's Froot Loops, beginning March 22nd through May 30th.

- Nestle - A half page national FSI with an estimated 45MM impressions will drop on April 2nd. The DVD release will be promoted on over 2,000 point-of-sale retail displays nationwide.

- Toshiba - Toshiba brings back it's successful "beauty and the beast" campaign to support the King Kong DVD release, which will highlight the backwards compatibility of Toshiba's HD DVD technology. For more information regarding backwards compatibility, go to www.toshibahddvd.com. The program will tout the beauty of an all-new kind of DVD player, one that won't render your conventional DVDs obsolete. The promotion will be supported by print, radio, and online advertising, and will also include point-of-sale and a national sweepstakes.

- Chase - Chase is the proud sponsor of the King Kong DVD release event. Chase will also promote the King Kong DVD release in its "Spend & Get" mailers, sent to Universal Entertainment MasterCardâ card members in spring 2006.

- Kodak EasyShare Gallery - Kodak EasyShare Gallery will promote the DVD release of King Kong via a sweepstakes. Consumers are encouraged to use their digital camera or camera phone to snap a photo of their "Kong-sized smile" and submit it to win a Kong-sized prize pack. The program, which goes live March 26th, will be supported by offline and online media.

SYNOPSIS

Academy Award® –winning director Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) brings his sweeping cinematic vision to King Kong. Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody and Jack Black star in this spectacular film filled with heart-pounding action, terrifying creatures and groundbreaking special effects unlike anything you’ve seen before! Get ready for breathtaking action in this thrilling epic adventure about a legendary gorilla captured on a treacherous island and brought to civilization, where he faces the ultimate fight for survival. Experience the movie that critics are hailing as a “rousing, exciting cinematic adventure!” (Scott Mantz, “Access Hollywood”)

For more information please visit: www.kingkongmovie.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS

Director: Peter Jackson
    Written By: Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson
    Based on a Story by: Merian C. Cooper, Edgar Wallace
    Produced By: Jan Blenkin, Carolynne Cunningham, Fran Walsh, Peter Jackson
    Co-Producer: Philippa Boyens
    Director of Photography: Andrew Lesnie, ACS, ASC
    Production Designer: Grant Major
    Film Editors: Jamie Selkirk, ACE with Jabez Olssen
    Costume Designer: Terry Ryan
    Music By: James Newton Howard
    Cast: Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Colin Hanks, Andy Serkis, Evan Parke, Jamie Bell

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

DVD

Street Date: March 28, 2006
    Copyright: 2006 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 26260 (Widescreen); 26261 (Full Frame)
    Running Time: 3 Hours 8 Minutes
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
    Rating: PG-13
    Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

SPECIAL COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD

Street Date: March 28, 2006
    Copyright: 2006 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $30.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 29945
    Running Time: 3 Hours 8 Minutes
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: Disc One: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); Disc Two: 1.78:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen)
    Rating: PG-13
    Technical Info: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (Disc One); English Dolby Digital 2.0; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I had no idea James Ellroy writes for Universal. [​IMG]

Anybody else find it scary that the listing of the special features is considerably shorter (and less detailed) than the cross-promotion listing? [​IMG]

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I was about to say the same thing.

That and the fact the the 2-disc set is only $1 more than the single disc.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

No mention of a commentary track? No dts, no 6.1, too bad the isn't being done by New Line.

5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm disappointed there's no commentary, but I can't wait to see this movie at home when I can use the pause button to take a much needed restroom break.[​IMG]

I love this movie.

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the EE of king kong will probably have commentary, DTS track.. this is only the theatre version of kong being released.

same with lotr..

JACOB

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

there is no mention of an EE is there

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    That's because this is Universal, not New Line. [​IMG]

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I believe the EE is going to be released three months later.

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

I'm thinking more like November or December...but it is coming.[​IMG]

11. Kris Z.

Kris Z. Stunt Coordinator

He should have just made a King Kong mini-series or something.

12. Jake Yenor

Jake Yenor Stunt Coordinator

I'll wait for the EE. The lack of extras suck.

13. DanielJE

DanielJE Agent

I will buy this for twenty bucks or so and ask the wife for the hopefully extended for x-mas. just like all the LOTR movies.It would be cool if the extended version was packaged similar to the LORD cases. A display shelf for peter jackson.

14. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I think I'll hold off and see what develops with the possible EE. Then I'll hold off to see how it holds up against the theatrical. The LOTR stuff was a slam dunk, but I'm not sure about Kong. I may rent it if I get curious, but I have a no double dipping policy that I've managed to stick to for over 600 movies and I don't plan to break it on this title.

15. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I thought Kong was way too long as it was let alone an Extended cut.

16. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    is it still called double dipping when they are two different versions of the movie?

I look forward to both versions.

JACOB

17. DanielJE

DanielJE Agent

The way i see it is if someone is over i would watch the theater version (which could have been shorter for that reason). but on a rainy day my 8 year older daughter (who loved Kong) and me would watch the extended just like the LOTR. when at home in my own theater i could watch a 6 hour movie.

18. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

Uh, is this a sign of things to come?

19. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    they are talking about the extras, not the movie itself.

the production diaries are 1.78. or so. I bought the first production diares.
    might be a flipper, but the movie will be on side 1.

JACOB

20. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Do'h!

Thanx, JACOB...:b