USHV Press Release: "High School Reunion Collection"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ON DVD WITH THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL SOUNDTRACK

SIXTEEN CANDLES &*WEIRD SCIENCE Plus All-New Digitally Re-mastered Edition of THE BREAKFAST CLUB

All part of the "High School Reunion Collection"
    Debuting September 2nd, 2003

Universal City, California, July 18, 2003 - In the world of comedies, few films portray the teenage years better than Sixteen Candles, Weird Science and The Breakfast Club written and directed by John Hughes. Sixteen Candles andWeird Science are available for the first time on DVD from Universal Studios Home Video in their original glory with the original theatrical soundtrack. These films will join an all new digitally re-mastered edition of The Breakfast Club and other favorites, Three O'Clock High (new-to-DVD), Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mallrats, Dazed and Confused and American Graffiti, on DVD September 2, 2003, all part of Universal Studios Home Video's "High School Reunion Collection."

Offering vivid portrayals of the hopes, dreams, romantic mishaps, and hilarious escapades of some of America's most memorable characters, the DVDs are priced at $19.98 S.R.P. with a pre-order close of July 29. In addition, a "High School Reunion Boxed Set" featuring Sixteen Candles, Weird Science and The Breakfast Club is available for $39.98 S.R.P.

The ultimate slice of teenage life, these titles launched the careers of a long list of beloved stars, including Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, John Cusack, Kelly LeBrock and Robert Downey, Jr. Collectors will snap up these teen angst-fests boasting awesome eighties soundtracks including songs by Spandau Ballet, General Public, David Bowie, Kajagoogoo, Oingo Boingo and Billy Idol. Often considered some of the best movie soundtracks from the eighties, these quintessential teenage classics will feature the original theatrical soundtrack music that is undeniably linked with memories of the movie.

A STORIED PAST

John Hughes' films are praised for the way they meet suburban characters and stories head-on, with hilarious results. In Sixteen Candles, fifteen-year-old Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald) stresses out as her sister's wedding upstages her sixteenth birthday. Unbeknownst to her, the situation is not as grim as she thinks, as her unattainable crush has a crush on her. The film's talent roster includes Anthony Michael Hall as the ultimate high school geek. These two performances won each actor a Young Artist Award for Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture.

With Weird Science, Hughes enters the fantasy realm, as two popularity-challenged high school boys use their computers to create the ideal woman. The film stars Anthony Michael Hall, Kelly LeBrock, Bill Paxton, Ilan Mitchell-Smith and Robert Downey, Jr.

The Breakfast Club captures a group of teens trapped together during a daylong stint in detention. At seven a.m. they have nothing to say, but by four p.m., they have bared their souls to each other and become friends. The critically acclaimed film, starring Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Paul Gleason, was praised for its "moments of truth and perception" (Leonard Maltin).

In Three O'Clock High Jerry Mitchell is having one of those days. He's late for high school, his car has a flat tire and he's been sent to the dean's office. But worst of all, he's incurred the wrath of the feared new student Buddy Revell, the biggest, meanest, downright nastiest guy in class who forces him into a fight at 3 p.m. in the school parking lot. Poor Jerry has just seven hours, a good supply of wit, a few friends, a savvy kid sister and the worst luck of any kid alive, to find a way out of his tough problem. As the clock ticks away and the suspense mounts, Jerry realizes there's no way he can avoid facing the muscle-bound bully in a fight that will probably be his last.

CAST &*FILMMAKERS

Sixteen Candles
    Director: John Hughes
    Screenwriter: John Hughes
    Producer: Hilton A. Green
    Associate Producer: Michelle Manning
    Executive Producer: Ned Tanen
    Cinematographer: Bobby Byrne
    Production Designer: John W. Corso
    Editor: Edward A. Warschilka
    Cast: Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Justin Henry, John Cusack

Weird Science
    Producer: Joel Silver
    Associate Producer: Jane Vickerilla
    Cinematographer: Matthew F. Leonetti
    Editors: Chris Lebenzon, Scott Wallace
    Cast: Anthony Michael Hall, Kelly LeBrock, Ilan Mitchell-Smith, Bill Paxton, Robert Downey, Jr.

Three O'Clock High
    Director: Phil Joanou
    Screenwriters: Thomas E. Szollosi, Richard Christian Matheson Executive
    Producer: Aaron Spelling Production Designer: William F. Matthews
    Editor: Joe Ann Fogle
    Cast: Philip Baker Hall, Casey Siemaszko, Richard Tyson, Jeffrey Tambor

The Breakfast Club
    Executive Producer: Gil Friesen
    Editor: Dede Allen
    Cast: Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy

DVD TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Street Date: September 2, 2003
    Order Close: July 29, 2003
    Ratings: Sixteen Candles- PG
    Weird Science, Three O'Clock High- *PG 13
    The Breakfast Club - R
    Selection Numbers:
    Sixteen Candles - 21140 ($19.98 S.R.P.)
    Weird Science - 21141 ($19.98 S.R.P.)
    Three O'Clock High- *23651 ($19.98 S.R.P.)
    High School Reunion Boxed Set (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club)- *23810 ($39.98 S.R.P.)

Sixteen Candles - *1 Hr 33 Minutes, Dual Layer, 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, 5.1 DTS Surround, Spanish/French Subtitles Weird Science - 1 Hr 34 Minutes, Dual Layer, 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, 5.1 DTS Surround, Spanish/French Subtitles Three O'Clock High - *1 Hr 30 Minutes, Single Layer, 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, 5.1 DTS Surround, Spanish/French Subtitles The Breakfast Club - 1 Hr 32 Minutes, 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, 5.1 DTS Surround, Spanish/French Subtitles

2. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

Ron this is indeed good news,but do you have any idea what the specs are for the Dazed and Confused release?
    Is it just a repackage of the existing disc?

Thanks
    John.

3. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

Awesome news!

4. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

At least original tracks this time, yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy![​IMG]

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

It'd be better news if there was something in the way of extras. A new documentary/commentary reuniting some of the cast would have been nice. Or even just the scenes they add to the TV versions, where applicable.

6. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

That is my first question. I have been waiting for that one. I will get that John Hughs box set.

7. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

Ron are you sure that 3oclock high is really going to be in DTS. I love that movie and was disappointed when I had heard it was only coming in 2.0. Can you please confirm that for me?
    thanks

8. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

By the way, universals official site still shows breakfast club at a running time of 98 minutes, as well as many other sites. I guess we wont know for sure, till reviews start appearing late next month, heres hoping.[​IMG]

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Gents,

I only receive these Press Releases and then
    pass them along to you.

I don't know of any specific specs.

Sorry.

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

This is the best news possible. We have the films as they were presented in theatres--OAR AND, finally, the unaltered, original song soundtracks (tho upped to 5.1).

Jon

12. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

I've never actually heard the theatrical soundtrack for 16 Candles ,or Weird Science for that matter.
    I remember looking at the end titles and not seeing songs listed that were played in the vhs version of Candles,but i'm not sure what was different about Weird Science.
    Anybody have details of what was replaced/missed out of the doctored versions?

13. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Let the speculation begin !!!! Ign dvd says about the 3 high school collection films , more details to come !!! Maybe a commentary on breakfast club .[​IMG]

14. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

The discs are already pressed and the menus posted - there's nothing but a trailer and promotional crap for other Universal movies.

15. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I can't wait to hear Breakfast Club & Sixteen Candles in DTS [​IMG]

16. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    Now the question is, "Will 'New York, New York' be heard in the after-party conversation between Jake & the Geek, or will Francis Albert Sinatra's estate Nix the idea?" & what about the Sony-Licenced tunes by Stevie Ray Vahguan, Wham UK (I could live w/o "Young Guns - Go For it" though, wink)?

17. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Please oh please let them re-release Dazed and Confused in 16x9!!

18. Xenia Stathakopoulou

James, you make a good point. The press release says original music. We shall see what winds up on the dvds in next months reviews .[​IMG]

19. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    In case anyone's interested, Amazon has the High School Reunion 3-pack for $29.99, with free shipping.

Sixteen Candles was the only must buy for me, but at less than $30 I went ahead and ordered all three.

20. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

OMG, I almost spit out my drink when I saw 3 O'Clock High on that list.