What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
There was some discussion about The Wolf Man last year when I put my review up. RAH had some issues with that transfer. Joe and I did not, and we were watching on his optimally designed system, on a 90" screen.

Here's the link to the full review, which also goes through all the special features:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/317999-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-review-recommended/

The short version is that we were very happy until we got to the last two movies in the box. The Phantom of the Opera has some strange registration errors as I noted, and Creature from the Black Lagoon has PQ issues as well as what I can only think of as a misaligned 3D transfer. Bob Furmaneck's review of the 3D disc gave a much more careful explanation of the problem there, but it gave me eyestrain at multiple points.

It's still a great set of Blu-rays, and I'm glad to have it. Dracula and the Frankenstein movies in particular are revelations with the new transfers.
Did Joe actually say to you he didn't see any edge enhancement or did he just not say anything. ?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joe and I looked at the image together on his system. Joe is not shy about PQ issues. If he sees edge enhancement, he instantly jumps. He showed me examples of it on other titles, including the HD-DVD of Meet Joe Black. With The Wolf Man, we were looking at the image quality and seeing plenty of detail. We discussed the issues RAH said he was seeing, but we weren't seeing it. To each their own.

On the other hand, with Phantom of the Opera, the registration errors practically jumped off the screen. And with Creature, we were seeing completely inexplicable PQ drops. The 3D eyestrain issue was something I found on my own with my own setup at home.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kevin EK said:
Joe and I looked at the image together on his system. Joe is not shy about PQ issues. If he sees edge enhancement, he instantly jumps.
Yet there it is, obvious as daylight on the transfer, it's a right or wrong type of discussion, we can't both be right therefore i guess we are both going to have to disagree completely on this one.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To Bob: Hello, good to talk to you again. And you're absolutely right on the PQ on Creature. It just really popped for us in Blu-ray. For me, this is akin to the issue I had at the end of the Blu-ray of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where the final matte painting is now blatantly obvious. When I saw Raiders at the Mann National in Westwood, I don't remember any such reaction.

To Malcolm: I can only tell you what Joe Kane and I saw in our screening together last year. You can dispute Joe's findings if you wish, and you can post screencaps, but that will not change the reaction Joe had at the time. I note that RAH also had issues with the transfer. We didn't. Doesn't mean that we didn't see issues anywhere in the set. Just means that we didn't see what you saw. You're correct that this isn't a right or wrong discussion.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
FoxyMulder said:
Yet there it is, obvious as daylight on the transfer, it's a right or wrong type of discussion, we can't both be right therefore i guess we are both going to have to disagree completely on this one.
Can you tell me which of your screencaps (and picture area within it) best show the EE artifacts you are seeing on The Worlfman? I've got a new larger projection screen just installed so I'll be curious to compare with what I see.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Peter Apruzzese said:
Can you tell me which of your screencaps (and picture area within it) best show the EE artifacts you are seeing on The Worlfman? I've got a new larger projection screen just installed so I'll be curious to compare with what I see.
Take a look at caps 7, 19 and 20, i am viewing them at the moment on a 60 inch plasma, no sharpening being added to the screen and nor was any added to the caps i made, it's not just those moments though but those caps should help you see it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but via Reddit, a high quality production still used for promotion.

Dig it!
t2kIcF3.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Morgan said:
I have seen this still before, but never realized all the "images" buried in the rock formations. Quite creepy.
I just did a quickie google search for creature images and only found this image once and it was cropped in portrait mode. This may be the first time either you or I have seen so much of the "rocks." They certainly look less like rocks in this pic.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
U.S. Packaging Glue Issue

I didn't see anything about this in the two main threads, so I thought I would bring it up here. I have known about the digibook glue issue from day one and have finally decided to contact Universal about replacement packaging. Has anyone else had this problem? Initially I cleaned off the glue that stuck to the surface of the BRDs with alcohol, then weighted the digibook (minus the discs) for a day hoping to get the glue to dry to the packaging, and it worked. The discs wouldn't quite go in as far as before, but I didn't mind this since it was easier to remove them - it basically took a little pull with a finger tip once I did this, to get the discs out of the page sleeves. Well now the slots have begun to open up again and are leaving glue on the discs again. I don't want to simply do my own alternate packaging and have asked Universal if they can supply an alternate or improved packaging, and I'm awaiting their reply. Has anyone else had this issue and contacted Universal?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If they send you alternate packaging, it's just going to be a blank plastic box. It won't have the printing on it. You can get that yourself for a dollar or two.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Johnny Angell said:
I just did a quickie google search for creature images and only found this image once and it was cropped in portrait mode. This may be the first time either you or I have seen so much of the "rocks." They certainly look less like rocks in this pic.

Someone used Photoshop to extend the sides by copying and mirroring.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
bigshot said:
If they send you alternate packaging, it's just going to be a blank plastic box. It won't have the printing on it. You can get that yourself for a dollar or two.

A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Dear universal: can you stop rerelease get these monster movies and please release some unreleased content like Cleopatra, Skippy, maybe the Ernst Lubitch Musicals?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dr Griffin said:
U.S. Packaging Glue Issue

I didn't see anything about this in the two main threads, so I thought I would bring it up here. I have known about the digibook glue issue from day one and have finally decided to contact Universal about replacement packaging. Has anyone else had this problem? Initially I cleaned off the glue that stuck to the surface of the BRDs with alcohol, then weighted the digibook (minus the discs) for a day hoping to get the glue to dry to the packaging, and it worked. The discs wouldn't quite go in as far as before, but I didn't mind this since it was easier to remove them - it basically took a little pull with a finger tip once I did this, to get the discs out of the page sleeves. Well now the slots have begun to open up again and are leaving glue on the discs again. I don't want to simply do my own alternate packaging and have asked Universal if they can supply an alternate or improved packaging, and I'm awaiting their reply. Has anyone else had this issue and contacted Universal?

Well it's been 3 weeks since I contacted Universal about this issue and I haven't heard a word. I had a similar packaging issue with Fox's Planet of the Apes 40 Year Evolution box set where the BDs were stuck on this little rubber plug, and removing them was scary. Two of the discs developed cracks, rendering them unplayable. I contacted FOX, and they immediately were very helpful - sending a prepaid label to ship the item back to them. When all was said and done, FOX returned my original packaging and also sent along all 5 of the films in the set in their own packaging. A truly good customer service experience. Universal needs to learn a thing or two.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick McCart said:
Someone used Photoshop to extend the sides by copying and mirroring.
That would explain the rocks oddness. Works for me. The rocks were starting to look like those roreshock (sp) ink blots.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
What hurts about this is that some of us that paid the full price when it first came out...stupidy comes to mine...or, they might not lower it. Well, I see that those of us that thought that...we were so wrong!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
I'd love for Universal to continue the classic monster BD series with the sequels. Son of Frankenstein being at the top of the list.

I keep seeing that "Every monster movie Universal did" DVD set on sale in places, and keep thinking "Ooooh. . . maybe." but then decide to wait until the Blues come out.

. . . .It might be a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks