USHE Press Release: Serenity

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    FROM THE CREATOR OF "BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER," "ANGEL" AND "FIREFLY" COMES A VISUALLY SPECTACULAR AND THRILLING ACTION ADVENTURE

SERENITY

Landing in Stores December 20, 2005 on DVD and VHS From Universal Studios Home Entertainment

"A triumph! A thrillingly original science-fiction creation."
    - Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle

Universal City, California, November 8, 2005 - A band of intergalactic outlaws on the run emerge as the most unlikely of heroes in the visually spectacular and thrilling action adventure, Serenity, available on DVD and VHS on December 20, 2005 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Written and directed by Academy Award( and Emmy nominee Joss Whedon, the creative genius behind "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," Serenity combines mind-blowing visual effects with an ingenious plot and unforgettable characters to take viewers on an edge-of-the-seat chase through fantastic and dangerous new worlds. Based on Whedon's cult phenomenon television series "Firefly," this explosive adventure features the series' original cast including Nathan Fillion (Dracula 2000, Saving Private Ryan), Gina Torres (The Matrix Revolutions, The Matrix Reloaded), Alan Tudyk (I, Robot, "Into the West") and Adam Baldwin ("Men In Black," The Poseidon Adventure). Serenity transports its audience into a truly original, fully realized vision of mankind's possible future.

Set in a post-apocalyptic universe, Serenity finds Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) and the crew of the rebel spaceship Serenity taking on both the all-powerful Universal Alliance and the murderous Reavers - cannibalistic savages living on the outskirts of civilization - as they fight to protect a beautiful young fugitive with a deadly secret. Jam-packed with deleted scenes, outtakes and more exclusive features, the DVD is priced at $29.98 SRP. Preorder close is November 15, 2005.

INTER-GALACTIC ADVENTURE GARNERS STELLAR REVIEWS
    Serenity has been hailed by critics for its originality, superb performances and non-stop action. Mark S. Allen of UPN-TV/Premiere Radio Networks gushes, "Not since The Matrix has a movie rocked so relentlessly!" while Peter Hartlaub of the San Francisco Chronicle calls Serenity "A triumph!" "An absolute blast," raves John Procaccino of CBS-TV, while Steve Head of IGN.com lauds the film's "Ultra-cool action." Tom Long of the Detroit News praises the "Slamming action sequences."

A WORLD OF EXTRAS
    Exclusive bonus features on the DVD offer viewers a deeper look into the brilliantly constructed universe of Serenity.
    * Deleted Scenes
    * Outtakes
    * Special Introduction by Joss Whedon - The Oscar( and Emmy-nominated writer/director of Serenity.
    * Re-lighting the Firefly
    * What's in a Firefly?
    * Feature Commentary with Joss Whedon, creator of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel" and "Firefly."

SYNOPSIS
    A passenger with a deadly secret. Six rebels on the run. As assassin in pursuit. When the renegade crew of Serenity agrees to hide a fugitive on their ship, they find themselves in an action-packed battle between the relentless military might of a totalitarian regime who will destroy anything - or anyone - to get the girl back and the bloodthirsty creatures who roam the uncharted areas of space. But, the greatest danger of all may be on their ship. From the mind of Joss Whedon ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel") comes a new edge-of-your-seat adventure loaded with explosive battles, gripping special effects and fantastic new worlds!

For more information please visit: www.serenitymovie.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Joss Whedon
    Written By: Joss Whedon
    Produced By: Barry Mendel
    Executive Producers: Christopher Buchanan, David Lester, Alisa Tager
    Director of Photography: Jack Green, ASC.
    Production Designer: Barry Chusid
    Edited By: Lisa Lassek
    Costume Designer: Ruth Carter
    Original Music By: David Newman
    Cast: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, Ron Glass, David Krumholtz and Chiwetel Ejiofor

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD
    Street Date: December 20, 2005
    Pre-Order Close: November 15, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $ 29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 26327 (Widescreen); 26328 (Full Frame)
    Running Time: 1 Hour 59 Minutes
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
    Rating: PG-13
    Technical Info: English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

VHS
    Street Date: December 20, 2005
    Pre-Order Close: November 15, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 63008
    Running Time: 1 Hour 59 Minutes
    Picture: Full Frame
    Rating: PG-13
    Technical Info: Hi-Fi Stereo Surround

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What's VHS??? [​IMG]

Seriously, Looking forward to this dvd.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I can't believe they are still producing VHS movies. How can they not be losing money on those? VHS takes up valuable resources, not to mention space on store shelves.

Anyway, I'm with Todd, it's a definite release date purchase.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My wife and I actually discussed this the other night. Inorder to prevent a situation where we each buy this for the other person for Christmas, we're just going to purchase as a gift to the both of us on release date. At least I won't have to wait until Christmas to watch it!

5. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

i ve become so addictied to this movie i'm going to my third and last showing tommrow before it goes off into the digital universe. by the way theres a great book out there that has the screenplay awesome pictures and a Q & A with joss.they didnt mention the UMD.

6. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

VHS, god you americans are slow[​IMG]

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I can only imagine that the vast majority of Firefly/Serenity fans don't have DVD players so a VHS release makes total sense. [​IMG]

8. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

i am surprised that they still do vhs. i may have to get that to add to my serenity collection.

9. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    people still rent vhs which make up the majority of the VHS market.

but I don't any movie gets more than 50,000-250,000 in VHS orders anymore. It's a dying market, but still profitable.

10. Guido

Guido Stunt Coordinator

So the speed behind this release - is that going to become a new standard? 3 months is the quickest I have seen, and I know they have been getting quicker.

M Night Shamalyan or whatever was so angry, he said it would ruin the movie market. In my opinion bad movies ruin the market and oversaturation, but this doesn't.

Any other ideas about how quick releases like this change things?

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think the financial failure of the movie (although it's not indicative of the quality of the movie) is why it's coming out so fast. If they weren't trying to make the Christmas rush, I don't think it would have been out so fast either. Plus, the DVD was finished long before Serenity finally got released. All those things are the reason why it's coming out so soon.

12. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Given the built-in base of anticipated sales (just look at the box set), this movie is set to make more on DVD than in the theaters. I personally will buy at least 3 copies - one for myself, and two as Christmas gifts.

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I hope the movie will turn a profit thanks to DVD sales, but I fear the theatrical performance will not warrant a sequel.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that Serenity ties up most of the loose ends associated with Firefly.

- Steve

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Being one of the best movies this year, I'll be in line to buy this on street day.

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

At least you had that option. It appears the local distributors will not be giving Serenity a theatrical run at all, just one single special showing and although I was told their website has information as to how to get tickets, it doesn't seem to show anything of the sort now. So: whilst I rarely go to the cineman nowadays, this was one movie I was keen to see on the big screen, but no such luck. [​IMG] I suppose the only consolation is that I don't have to wait long to get it on DVD.

16. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I feel your pain, Yee-Ming. The movie was originally supposed to open in Scandinavia on December 2. Then came the news about the Region 1 DVD being released only a few weeks after that and I was less enthusiastic but I thought I'd support the movie's theatrical release anyway. However, the distributor has now pulled the film and I won't be watching it on the big screen after all. [​IMG]

17. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

i did go yesterday and had a blast .i took someone and she really liked it. that sucks your city isn't getting the movie.if its all the same to you , i did spend 32$ at a matinee yesterday.[​IMG]

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I saw on whedonesque recently that the Region 4 Australian edition will include more extras. But it is the wrong region and in PAL.

19. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'm glad I still have that Cyberhome player...

- Steve

20. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Serenity shows up at our local Navy theater in another week or so, and will play about 4-5 times before Dec. 20. I saw it in May, and am really looking forward to seeing it a couple of times before picking it up on DVD.