USHE Press Release: Leave It To Beaver: The Complete First Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    In Stores November 22nd, 2005

Synopsis

Finally, one of the most beloved series from television’s Golden Age comes to DVD for the first time ever! Join the Cleavers, America’s quintessential family, in all 39 digitally remastered, unforgettable episodes from the complete first season of Leave it to Beaver! Theodore “Beaver” Cleaver (Jerry Mathers) can’t seem to avoid trouble, and his older brother Wally (Tony Dow), and mischievous pal Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond), aren’t any help. But with some wise advice from his father Ward (Hugh Beaumont) and mom’s (Barbara Billingsley) home-cooked meals, Beaver learns that all’s well that ends well. Complete with the original pilot, brought out of the studio archives, this must-have DVD collection will have you declaring, “Gee, that Beaver sure is a swell guy!”

Bonus Feature:

•Bonus Pilot Episode: It’s a Small World with different actors portraying Ward and Wally!

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Ron! Still no hint if the Hugh Beaumont-narrated "previews" will be included. [​IMG]

I bet they will.

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Any word on whether this will be DVD-18 or not?

I would buy it, but until Universal at least makes an attempt to fix their pressing problems, I won't buy any releases on this format.

4. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

It's a 3 disc set, and the only way to squeeze in all 39 first season episodes onto 3 discs would be on the dreaded double-sided DVD-18 format, so expect the complaints to start rolling in soon.

5. Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand why Universal has to cram all the episodes on three discs. I realize that they would have to charge more if the spread the shows thru out four or even five discs but so what? The true Leave It To Beaver fans would gladly pay $10 or $20 dollars more knowing that the episodes were pressed with much care. Not to mention how thrilled TV fans would be if they tossed in such things as interviews, featurettes, archival footage, etc.
    Bill Parisho

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Um, it's not like they haven't already set the MSRP (on the non-LE) at $49.95!

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The cheaper it is, the more copies it will sell.

8. Bill Parisho

Yes. And what good is selling more copies of discs in the DVD-18 Format if many people get defective discs? Unless of course, Universal is hoping that those customers will put up with the bad discs and not bother to bring them back. Fox has put out 6 seasons of The Simpsons on single sided discs at $49.99 (list) and every one of them has been a top seller. I say put out your product right the first time and you won't have to take back defective discs.
    However your point about selling more copies is a good point. That's probably Universal's only concern.
    Bill Parisho

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I had to replace my Simpsons Season 1 because of a defective disc, so DVD-9s aren't 100% reliable either.

The real culprit is that Technicolor plant in Mexico; I just had to exchange a copy of "The Emperor's Club" (DVD-9) that was made there that crashed right in the middle of the movie.

10. Bill Parisho

I was lucky. All of my Simpson DVD sets play great. I know, because I play them all the time.
    Thanks for the DVD-9 information. I guess it's a matter of quality pressings along with vigilant customers who complain when the discs are defective.
    Bill Parisho

11. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

The Hugh Beaumont-narrated "previews" are on there. At least on disc one...I went through disc three and didn't see them.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Pavan: You're saying they are on Disc #1 but not Disc #3?

13. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

I don't think all the episodes originally had the preview for every episode. I didn't see any on disc 3 side B. Didn't check side A.

14. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

15. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Universal now has this annoying habit of putting their new Universal logo opening before every single episode. They don't even give us the option of hitting the "next" button to skip the opening and get right to the episodes. This gets very old after the first couple of episodes. We've had to endure this with Dragnet, Quincy and The Munsters. I'm sure it'll be on the Leave It To Beaver set as well. I can understand them playing this current opening before each disc starts, but before each episodes? Hey Universal, I don't mind the Universal "closing logo with theme" (I even expect it, since I grew up watching it, it's part of the show), however, when exactly did this new logo and theme air during the show's run, did I miss something? At least don't disable the "next" button to the point where hitting it will take you to the next episode, instead of when the show is supposed to begin.

16. Bill Parisho

Carlos:
    You are absolutely right. I think I'm going to start buying my TV sets from everybody except Universal.
    Bill Parisho

17. Bill Parisho

Carlos:
    You are absolutely right. I think I'm going to start buying my TV box sets from everybody except Universal.
    Bill Parisho

18. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

Carlos: The Beaver set has an option to skip the Universal logo by hitting the next chapter button.

19. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

That I can't easily skip over the horrendously load and pompous looking logo on the Night Gallery set is one of my biggest complaints about that particular release. Does Universal have 17 year olds that make DVD packaging decisions for them? I really wonder.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I think the key elements from the SitcomsOnLine review are:

The Hugh Beaumont previews were only done for the first 16 episodes. They are included on the set. Then there are mini-vignettes (scenes from each show) which air before the show to tease the upcoming episode. They are also included.

And, if you get the lunchbox, you do NOT get the standard DD packaging that you get without the lunchbox. If you get the lunchbox, the discs are contained within that Cleaver family photo album.

From the review by Todd Fuller:

His overall marks for the set are quite high! [​IMG]