USHE Press Release: JAWS 30th ANNIVERSARY DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    STEVEN SPIELBERG'S ICONIC MASTERPIECE

JAWS 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION DVD

SURFACES JUNE 14, 2005
    JUST IN TIME TO TERRIFY NEW GENERATIONS OF BEACHGOERS

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES ANNIVERSARY WITH NEW BONUS FEATURES

"One of the most effective thrillers ever made" - Roger Ebert

Universal City, California, April 28, 2005 -Steven Spielberg's Jaws, one of the most enduring action-suspense films of all time, comes to DVD June 14, 2005 in a brand-new 30th Anniversary Edition. Oscar(r) winner Richard Dreyfuss and Oscar(r) nominees Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw star in this terrifying thriller about an enormous, man-eating shark that terrorizes a quiet beach resort. Produced by acclaimed filmmakers Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown, and released to critical and popular acclaim on June 20, 1975, Jaws smashed all previous box office records and remains one of the highest grossing films in motion picture history. Rediscover the terror and adventure of this modern cinema classic with an all-new 30 th Anniversary Edition DVD that reminds us why Jaws was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and forever changed the way entire generations thought about swimming in the ocean. Bonus features in this 30th Anniversary edition include a two-hour documentary on the making of the film and a previously unavailable interview with master filmmaker Steven Spielberg, as well as deleted scenes, outtakes and more. The Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition DVD is priced at $22.98 SRP. Pre-order close date is May 10, 2005.

THE BLOCKBUSTER BECOMES A CULTURAL PHENOMENON
    More than a blockbuster movie, Jaws was a cultural phenomenon that sparked a worldwide fascination with sharks that continues to this day. Based on Peter Benchley's best-selling book, Jaws, the film launched a tidal wave of other movies, newspaper and magazine articles, books and television specials - to say nothing of countless comedy sketches and film parodies. Even the artwork for the film's poster - a huge shark rising out of the ocean depths toward a lone swimmer - has lived on, inspiring thousands of newspaper illustrations. Composer John Williams' unforgettably suspenseful score won an Academy Award(r), as did the film's editor and sound team. Jaws was also chosen by the prestigious American Film Institute as one of the 100 Greatest American Films of all time.

TAKE THE PLUNGE WITH IN-DEPTH BONUS FEATURES
    In addition to the blockbuster feature, the Jaws 30th Anniversary Edition is packed with gripping bonus features that dive into the history and legacy of this incredible film. Bonus features include:
    * The Making of Jaws - For the first time ever on DVD, viewers will get a complete glimpse into the making of Jaws with this 2-hour documentary.
    * From The Set - An insider's look at life on the set of Jaws, featuring a never-before-available interview with Steven Spielberg.
    * Deleted Scenes
    * Outtakes
    * Jaws Archives -Take a peak inside the Jaws archives including storyboards, production photos, and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the Jaws phenomenon.

SYNOPSIS

Roy Scheider is Martin Brody, a former New York cop who recently traded in the stresses of the Big Apple for a quiet life as police chief of a sleepy New England beach town. But when the body of a possible shark victim washes ashore, Brody is forced to weigh the safety of bathers against the financial concerns of the mayor (Murray Hamilton), who opposes closing the town's beaches during peak tourist season. Despite the opinion of marine biologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) that the swimmer was indeed killed by a great white shark, the beaches remain open at the mayor's insistence. After additional attacks grip the town with fear, Brody and Hooper set out to find the sea monster in a small, leaky vessel captained by Quint (Robert Shaw), a grizzled sailor seeking revenge for the deaths of his Navy crewmates. Composer John Williams won an Oscar for his famously suspenseful score; the film also took home Oscars for Best Editing and Best Sound.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Produced By: Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown
    Directed By: Steven Spielberg
    Screenplay By: Peter Benchley, Carl Gottlieb
    Based on Novel By: Peter Benchley
    Production Executive: William S. Gilmore, Jr.
    Director of Photography: Bill Butler
    Production Designer: Joseph Alves Jr.
    Editor: Verna Fields
    Composer: John Williams
    Cast: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Lorraine Gary, Murray Hamilton, Carl Gottlieb, Jeffrey Kramer, Susan Backlinie, Jonathan Filley, Ted Grossman, Chris Rebello, Jay Mello, Lee Fierro, Jeffrey Voorhees, Craig Kingsbury, Dr. Robert Nevin, Peter Benchley

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD
    Street Date: June 14, 2005
    Pre-Order Date: May 10, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $22.98SRP
    Selection Numbers: 28171 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 28180 (Full Frame)
    Running Time: 2 Hours 4 Minutes
    Layers: Dual (Single Sided)
    # of Discs: 2
    Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1; Full Frame 1.33:1
    Rating: PG
    Technical Info:
    * Film: English Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 and DTS 5.1 Surround Sound/ Captioned; Spanish
    Dolby Digital 5.1/ Subtitles; French Dolby Digital 5.1/ Subtitles
    * Bonus Features: English Dolby Digital 2.0/ Captioned; French Subtitles; Spanish Subtitles

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

- June 14th
    - Full 2-hour documentary
    - Original mono sound

Thanks for the confirmation, Ron. Now, all we have to is wait for the reviews to come in. I wonder if they used a new interpositive, transfered at hi-def, and did any clean-up? I wonder if the mono sound was restored? Will the many audio tracks cancel each other out in terms of resolution?

Time, as ever, will tell.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Count me in as this is wow.

I have also never seen the 2 hour documentary so I am in for a treat

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This is one of the DVD highlights of my summer[​IMG] One of my all time favorite movies! The documentary is great (and it's even better in its full length version).

5. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Definitely upgrading, if only for the 2-hour documentary.

6. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I've read this press release a couple of times and I don't see any mention of a mono soundtrack. It states Dolby Digital 2.0 but is it mono?

7. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    I am cautiously optimistic about this new release. Optimistic, because on paper, it looks to be what Jaws fans have been asking for. Cautious, because Universal doesn't have a track record for high quality video presentation. I'm hoping for the best.

-Reagan

8. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Based on that press release, it looks like the rumours of a the original mono sound were wrong.

Anyone have better information?

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I would think the dolby 2.0 track will be the original mono. My question is whether or not it's a new transfer. If not, I'll keep the current dvd as I already have documentary on LD

10. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm certainly not upgrading just to get a documentary I'd only watch once. It's great that it's on there, but unless there's improved picture quality on the film itself, I see no reason to upgrade.

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

The complete documentary is the only reason I'm going to upgrade this package. I'm very glad to hear it's being included at last [​IMG]

13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

"English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono"
    --From their Technical Specs.

Also, the back of the ad read clearly that is was the "original theaterical mono" soundtrack.

While I am amped to see the full documentary (and I can hear Bryan Singer going "YEA!"--This is his favorite film and actaully commented on the lack of the full documentary on one of his DVDs.--), what I am most excited about it to hear that original mono mix, and especially that slap on Brody's face that hasn't sounded right since the current DVD came out.

14. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

No double-dip for me unless it's a new tranfer.

15. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

If the picture quality is as good as or better than my DTS dvd, I'm in. I haven't watched Jaws as much as some of you here, but I know what it's like to have a movie you dearly love and know sound differently. The movie just doesn't work as well. It happened to me with Superman: The Movie and when I listended to the 5.1 track for The Terminator, so I definitely want to pick up a version of Jaws with the proper sound effects track.

Hopefully the multiple soundtracks won't result in an inferior picture, but this is one re-release where I think the DTS should have been dropped.

16. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    BBFC lists the FROM THE SET feature as being 8 mins 34.

17. RickHeart

RickHeart Agent

Have to say, I'm a little dissapointed in this. The two hour documentary IS excellent, but it's also something that's been around a while. What I was really hoping for was the new "The Shark is Still Working" documentary. Without it, no sale for me.

18. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

First of all, Universal doesn't have anything to do with "The Shark Is Still Working". It's a fan project and Universal could probably obtain the rights if they want to, but the film is still in production and it will still be in production when the new DVD release comes out less than a month from now. I'm sure the film will see the light of day, whether it's on some small label or through Universal, but expecting it to be on the 30th Anniversary DVD just isn't realistic.

19. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

I'm not disappointed in this new disc and I'll certainly be buying it, but it would've been nice if they could have also added the two hour Jaws E! True Hollywood Story. Without the commercials it's probably about 80-90 minutes in length. I'm guessing E! would have wanted too much $. It's an awesome documentary though and it even touches on the sequels a bit, despite that I think parts 3 and 4 are awful, awful films.

20. RickHeart

RickHeart Agent

"The Shark is Still Working" may just be a fan project, but it's one that Spielberg and John Williams both gave interviews for...in Speilbergs case, a two hour one. In any event, it may be true that it's unrealistic to see it on this release, but without something like that, there's not enough new on this to warrant a double dip, IMO. Jaws is one of my personal favorites, but I'll wait for the HD.