What's new

USHE Press Release: Jaws (1975) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was taking a scuba class when the novel was hot. I remember our instructor holding the book up and saying “you gotta read this.” I finished the class and was diving thru the release of the movie. When you dive and can see what’s down there, it removes most of the fear.

That's a fact. Just don't do a night dive. I've done one in my life (I was 19 or 20) and I was PETRIFIED the entire time. I kept imagining Jaws converging on me for dinner. It was so bad I forced my father to swim back to shore on the surface I was freaking out so badly.

I still blame my unfettered access to HBO as a young kid and watching all the Jaws movies when I shouldn't have for the freak out.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I saw this in a huge theatre on a huge screen when it was originally released. The audience screamed and jumped out of their seats through the entire movie. When it was over, there was huge applause. This was in a small town in Texas. It was a thrilling experience I'll never forget.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in a huge theatre on a huge screen when it was originally released. The audience screamed and jumped out of their seats through the entire movie. When it was over, there was huge applause. This was in a small town in Texas. It was a thrilling experience I'll never forget.
I've seen Jaws at least 10 times in theaters over the years and that's been my experience every time as well. It's amazing how well it still plays for an audience today.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I probably saw Psycho when I was about 12 & the movie was about 30 years old and It was ancient in my mind. Needless to say, 1990 doesn't seem that long ago to me now but to a kid or a teenager today, 1990 might as well be 1790 and 1960 would be about a million years ago.

If I was a kid today, Jaws would be about the age equivalent of The Wizard Of Oz when I was young.

Yeah, if a movie came out before you were born, it kinda doesn't matter how much before that it came out.

A movie from 1966 might as well be 1936, as I have no perspective on either since I wasn't alive.

Well, kinda - meaning that something from 1966 will be closer to a world I remember than something from 1936, so I can better identity with it. The world of "Graduate" feels less alien than that of "Casablanca" because I can recall the years not much after 1967...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's a fact. Just don't do a night dive. I've done one in my life (I was 19 or 20) and I was PETRIFIED the entire time. I kept imagining Jaws converging on me for dinner. It was so bad I forced my father to swim back to shore on the surface I was freaking out so badly.

I still blame my unfettered access to HBO as a young kid and watching all the Jaws movies when I shouldn't have for the freak out.
I did do a couple of night dives. Supposedly, the lobsters come out at night. That turned out to be true, but there was no way I was grabbing a bug and risking serious damage to my hand.

And speaking of sharks, on one boat dive, just as the three of us touched bottom, we spotted 3 blue sharks who swam by us and couldn’t have cared less about our presence. That was a thrill. It also taught me why they are called blue sharks. In good lighting they are very blue, no subtle light blue, but BLUE.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've seen Jaws at least 10 times in theaters over the years and that's been my experience every time as well. It's amazing how well it still plays for an audience today.
Yeah, funny how quality doesn’t wear out, but acquires a patina of reputation. Jeez, that was kind of pretentious writing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jaws has upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos on iTunes. At no charge as usual if you purchased on iTunes, which I did for $4.99 previously.

It looks and sounds spectacular. I’m sure the actual disc will be even better! Two weeks!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Up for preorder for $24.99 at Best Buy. Steelbook is the same price and the cover is much better even if it’s reminiscent of the Jaws 4 poster with the shark being the “A”.
Currently Amazon and BB are charging $25. If buy from BB, I’ll have to pay $4 shipping since there is no store pickup. I do like the looks of the steelbook...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
About to bite into "Jaws" 4K - happy it came before the holiday weekend!

BTW, if anyone hoped the included Blu-ray would offer an updated transfer.... it doesn't. The disc comes with new paint, but it's the identical Blu-ray already on the market...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wish the included excellent documentary “The Shark Is Still Working” is in HD this time. Don’t think it is from the specs. Windowboxed SD again I assume. :(

1080p:

pAibTAu.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
According to that review, all the extras are on the 4K disc. You don’t need your old blu ray or this new blu ray to watch the extras. That’s almost revolutionary, a studio making something convenient.

I was going to the the steel book, but the didn’t realize the slip case was lenticular. I could see the 3D effect in the review. I’ll go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks