What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I don't often complain about cover art but that cover really sucks. The movie literally has one of the most recognizable posters in history but instead they went with the shark eating the logo? Ultimately, I'm not going to spend time gazing at the cover so it's not a big deal but getting the original in line with the covers to the sequels wasn't the best idea.
Would you prefer this one...

1587503762062.png

Or how about this one (supposedly the original movie poster from Ghana)?
1587503878778.png

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wish the included excellent documentary “The Shark Is Still Working” is in HD this time. Don’t think it is from the specs. Windowboxed SD again I assume. :(

The following is from the linked to press announcement:
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD and BLU-RAYTM:

• The Making of JAWS
  • The Shark Is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS
  • JAWS: The Restoration
  • Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
  • From the Set
  • Theatrical Trailer
It says those features are on both discs if it’s written accurately. Of course it still doesn’t have to be in HD. Did the release say it wasn’t?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Even though this movie still freaks me out, I'm definitely interested in getting a copy. It's a modern-day classic!
I love the movie and will get the 4K, but the only scene that still punches me in the gut, is the opening attack on Chrissie. That’s probably just me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
All the Jaws I have not including the big Laser Disc box set too.
This one is a UK steel boom that is my favorite.

Attachments

• E2AF3571-081D-4D8C-8473-3C0823D07537.jpeg
    E2AF3571-081D-4D8C-8473-3C0823D07537.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 26

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

The following is from the linked to press announcement:

It says those features are on both discs if it’s written accurately. Of course it still doesn’t have to be in HD. Did the release say it wasn’t?
I think if it is in HD this time it would have been announced. It wasn’t.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Scared to death of sharks to this day because of this movie. :oops: I was 5 years old when it came out and just the music itself was enough to terrify me. I have seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but couldn't actually force myself to sit through the entire thing until a year or so ago. Even though I was terrified the entire time, I knew it was a classic. Steven Spielberg showed on this film what a master director he was about to become.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scared to death of sharks to this day because of this movie. :oops: I was 5 years old when it came out and just the music itself was enough to terrify me. I have seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but couldn't actually force myself to sit through the entire thing until a year or so ago. Even though I was terrified the entire time, I knew it was a classic. Steven Spielberg showed on this film what a master director he was about to become.
I was taking a scuba class when the novel was hot. I remember our instructor holding the book up and saying “you gotta read this.” I finished the class and was diving thru the release of the movie. When you dive and can see what’s down there, it removes most of the fear.
True. But I still feel that any film released during my now 50-year lifespan is "modern-day." At least to me. ;)
It’s all relative. I don’t think of War of the Worlds (1953) as an old movie. ;)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I love the movie and will get the 4K, but the only scene that still punches me in the gut, is the opening attack on Chrissie. That’s probably just me.

Me too. It was lifted almost directly from the book IIRC, and its effective brutality lies in what it doesn't show. One of Spielberg's most impressive film sequences IMO.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's because it's a combination of the primal fears of being eaten and drowning but the shot and sounds of Alex Kintner being pulled underwater by the shark is still disturbing to me.

True. But I still feel that any film released during my now 50-year lifespan is "modern-day." At least to me. ;)
Yeah, if I was alive when a movie came out, it doesn't seem that old. Even when it is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Oh, you're not alone. That's why the MCU uses the running gag in which Peter Parker refers to various 80s movies as "old"! :)

The notion that "Empire Strikes Back" and "Aliens" are old seems laughable to those of us past a certain age, but to a 17-year-old, they're freakin' ancient!

"ESB" to today almost = "Casablanca" to when I was 17! :oops:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if I was alive when a movie came out, it doesn't seem that old. Even when it is.

For me, it's more if I can remember the movie.

So even though I was alive for, say, "The Graduate", it's an "old movie" because I was an infant and don't remember it.

1972 or so is kinda the tipping point after which the movies seem less "old" - though some of those still feel kinda old, like "Earthquake", but that might be because they're pretty dated.

Back on topic: I also struggle to view "Jaws" as "old" - but dammit, it is! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you're not alone. That's why the MCU uses the running gag in which Peter Parker refers to various 80s movies as "old"! :)

The notion that "Empire Strikes Back" and "Aliens" are old seems laughable to those of us past a certain age, but to a 17-year-old, they're freakin' ancient!

"ESB" to today almost = "Casablanca" to when I was 17! :oops:
Yeah, I probably saw Psycho when I was about 12 & the movie was about 30 years old and It was ancient in my mind. Needless to say, 1990 doesn't seem that long ago to me now but to a kid or a teenager today, 1990 might as well be 1790 and 1960 would be about a million years ago.

If I was a kid today, Jaws would be about the age equivalent of The Wizard Of Oz when I was young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikWRX