USHE PRESS RELEASE: Jarhead

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    FOR EVERY WAR THERE IS A FILM THAT DEFINES IT

JARHEAD

IS THAT MOVIE FOR OUR TIME

STARRING OSCAR® WINNER JAMIE FOXX AND JAKE GYLLENHAAL
    On the Frontlines on DVD March 7, 2006
    From Universal Studios Home Entertainment

- “Jarhead is more than a movie – it’s an experience.” Gene Shalit, “The Today Show”
    - “One of this year’s can’t-miss movies.” Pete Hammond, Maxim

Universal City, California, February 6, 2006 – An irreverent and edgy look at modern warfare from a soldier’s point of view, Jarhead arrives on DVD and VHS on March 7, 2006 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Starring Oscar® winner Jamie Foxx (Ray, Collateral) and Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain, Proof), and directed by Oscar® winner Sam Mendes (American Beauty, The Road to Perdition), the film follows a naïve young recruit and his platoon mates from the intensity and comradery of boot camp to being shipped to a lonely outpost in a surreal desert setting. Jarhead delivers a militantly apolitical story of hope, frustration, bonding and survival, loaded with first-rate performances from a stellar cast including Peter Sarsgaard (Kinsey, Garden State) and Academy AwardÒ winner Chris Cooper (Seabiscuit, The Bourne Identity). Adapted from Anthony Swofford’s best-selling memoir by Academy AwardÒ-winning screenwriter and ex-Marine pilot William Broyles, Jr. (Apollo 13, Cast Away), Jarhead redefines war for a new generation against a backdrop of high-alert anticipation, sporadic violence and unsettling lulls.

Drawing on Swofford's bracing firsthand account of the Gulf War, Jarhead follows a third generation military enlistee (Jake Gyllenhaal) from basic training to first deployment as his unit awaits orders in the scorching Kuwaiti sun. When excruciating physical conditions coupled with the uncertainty of waiting cracks the soldiers’ discipline, it sets in motion a tragic conflict. The DVD, VHS and UMD are priced at $29.98 SRP. The special two-disc Collector’s Edition is priced at $39.98 SRP. Preorder close is January 24, 2006.

A PLATOON OF SPECIAL FEATURES

The Jarhead DVD features a collection of new and exciting bonus features.

Swoff’s Fantasies with Commentary by Director Sam Mendes and Editor Walter Murch
    News Interviews in Full with Commentary by Director Sam Mendes and Editor Walter Murch
    Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Director Sam Mendes and Editor Walter Murch
    Feature Commentary with Director Sam Mendes
    Feature Commentary with Screenwriter William Broyles, Jr. & Author Anthony Swofford

The two-disc special Collector’s Edition features in-depth bonus material that gives viewers an even deeper look into the talents’ experiences on the set and the harsh realities of life on the battlefield.

Jarhead Diaries with Introduction by Director Sam Mendes – A look at the personal video diaries created by the talent of their experiences on the set.
    Background with Introduction by Director Sam Mendes – Cameras follow the lives of the real U.S. Marines who appeared as extras in the film.
    Semper Fi: Life After the Corps with Introduction by Director Sam Mendes and Audio Introduction by Author Anthony Swofford – Anthony Swofford and Laura Nix interview former U.S. Marines about their experiences re-integrating into civilian life.

SYNOPSIS

Anthony Swofford (Jake Gyllenhaal), a third generation enlistee, arrives at Marine basic training eager to be initiated into “Jarhead” lore and discipline as he prepares for action in the Persian Gulf. “Swoff” graduates from the intense regimentation of boot camp to hunkering down with a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound rucksack in the blistering Kuwaiti desert, where he and his fellow Marines await orders under the command of veteran Sergeant Sykes (Jamie Foxx). Primed for combat and alienated from home and family, the young Marines face enforced inaction waiting for an enemy they can’t see defending a cause they don’t understand.

For more information please visit: www.jarheadmovie.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Sam Mendes
    Written By: William Broyles, Jr.
    Based on the Book By: Anthony Swofford
    Produced By: Douglas Wick, Lucy Fisher
    Executive Producers: Sam Mercer, Bobby Cohen
    Director of Photography: Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC
    Production Designer: Dennis Gassner
    Edited By: Walter Murch, ACE
    Costume Designer: Albert Wolsky
    Original Music By: Thomas Newman

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Lucas Black, Brian Geraghty, Jacob Vargas, Laz Alonso, Evan Jones with Chris Cooper, Dennis Haysbert and Jamie Foxx

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD

Street Date: March 7, 2006
    Pre-Order Close: January 24, 2006
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 27842 (Widescreen), 27843 (Full Frame)
    Running Time: 2 Hours 3 Minutes
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
    Rating: R (pervasive language, some violent images and strong sexual content)
    Technical Info: English, Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

COLLECTOR’S EDITION DVD (Two Disc)

Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $39.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 21037 (Collector’s Edition - Widescreen)
    Layers: Dual
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
    Technical Info: English, Spanish and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

VHS

Selection Number: 63255
    Picture: Full Frame
    Technical Info: Hi-Fi Stereo Surround

UMD

Selection Number: 63255
    Picture: Full Frame
    Technical Info: English Stereo 2.0; English SDH; Spanish and French Subtitles

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

What's that? Universal is releasing a movie that I want and there's no DVD-18!!!

YES! I can finally watch one of their discs!

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

STOP THE MADNESS!!! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEEEEEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

I guess we DVD collector's got to greedy and are now seeing the backlash.

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    LOL. I probably would have worded it differently, but I agree with you nonetheless. [​IMG]

Chris

5. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Does anyone know if Universal have cancelled / withdrawn the 2 disk version in the way they did with Cinderella Man, making it extremely limited and impossible to buy for non US based purchasers.

The various UK based importers I use are now listing it as deleted even though its not released for a couple of weeks and the only US based e-tailer I can find still listing it is Amazon. Hence I have ordered with them.

6. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Not too sure, the press release I got a couple days ago said there's a two disc edition (here in Canada) but I requested a review copy and all they sent me was the one disc.