What's new

USHE Press Release: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1 Viewer)

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
[quote name="NY2LA" url="/t/321107/ Again I refer you to CE3K on DVD and Blu Ray. Does it bother you that all 3 versions exist there?[/quote]
The 3 cuts of Close Encounters weren't pandering to soccer moms and computer guys. And didn't contribute to a crass, lousy culture and attitude about old movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
AlexCosmo said:
The 3 cuts of Close Encounters weren't pandering to soccer moms and computer guys.
I think you can pretty easily argue that showing inside the spaceship in Close Encounters was definitely pandering to the audience and worse than any of the stuff added to or deleted from E.T.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking more of the pandering to the old=bad, new=good attitude that runs pretty thick out there.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott Calvert said:
Regarding the 2002 version of E.T., I hope they burn the negative, delete all of the digital files, and sow both with salt. I'm glad they are burying it.
And there we have a perfect example of a hyper biased fanatic.
it won't get buried.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AlexCosmo said:
The 3 cuts of Close Encounters weren't pandering to soccer moms and computer guys. And didn't contribute to a crass, lousy culture and attitude about old movies.
Wow. Looking at the world through a jaundiced eye. You gonna blame this movie for Katrina and the recession, too?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AlexCosmo said:
I was thinking more of the pandering to the old=bad, new=good attitude that runs pretty thick out there.
Out where?
Are you referring to Hollywood? Where we have more surviving operating and restored single screen movie palaces and classic old theatres than Manhattan? Where the Academy is running old movies from Casablanca to Goonies on an outdoor screen all summer? Where we have at least four cinemas dedicated to showing nothing but old films? Right. Hollywood hates old movies, and is the root of all evil. Got it. I'll think of you tonight at Grauman's Chinese as I watch Some Like it Hot.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NY2LA said:
Out where?
Are you referring to Hollywood? Where we have more surviving operating and restored single screen movie palaces and classic old theatres than Manhattan? Where the Academy is running old movies from Casablanca to Goonies on an outdoor screen all summer? Where we have at least four cinemas dedicated to showing nothing but old films? Right. Hollywood hates old movies, and is the root of all evil. Got it. I'll think of you tonight at Grauman's Chinese as I watch Some Like it Hot.
Chances are you won't be watching it on FILM - I don't believe they have projectors anymore.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Was it film? I doubt it. I'm sure they showed a Blu-ray or whatever. The main theater at the Chinese (and you did say Grauman's Chinese, which would sort of point to the main theater) has NO film projectors, only digital.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
haineshisway said:
Was it film? I doubt it. I'm sure they showed a Blu-ray or whatever. The main theater at the Chinese (and you did say Grauman's Chinese, which would sort of point to the main theater) has NO film projectors, only digital.
Contrary to your previous post, they DO have projectors. Beyond that is not a conversation I'm having in this thread. The screening was only brought up to negate the notion that Hollywood had some pervasive bias against old movies. And this morning I bought a ticket to the Academy's 70mm festival, again proving my point.
We now return you to the proper topic of this thread: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. Relative to that, it's interesting to me that the interiors were shot at the former Selznick/RKO studios, home to productions from Gone With The Wind to The Nanny. I've spent some time there and it's interesting how relatively small that lot is, and it's not even clear where the backlot (aka burning Atlanta/King Kong island/downtown Mayberry) used to be.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
We now return you to the proper topic of this thread: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.
Believe me, if given the choice I would like all available versions on Blu. By no means am I telling you what to buy, but if E.T. is a refrence quality disc(stellar video/audio) won't you feel like you are missing out? I know it would be nagging at me until I purchased it. Again that is just me.
I pre-ordered it a couple days ago.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NY2LA said:
Contrary to your previous post, they DO have projectors. Beyond that is not a conversation I'm having in this thread. The screening was only brought up to negate the notion that Hollywood had some pervasive bias against old movies. And this morning I bought a ticket to the Academy's 70mm festival, again proving my point.
We now return you to the proper topic of this thread: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. Relative to that, it's interesting to me that the interiors were shot at the former Selznick/RKO studios, home to productions from Gone With The Wind to The Nanny. I've spent some time there and it's interesting how relatively small that lot is, and it's not even clear where the backlot (aka burning Atlanta/King Kong island/downtown Mayberry) used to be.
Sorry, I was told unequivocally they don't have film projectors in the main theater anymore.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
haineshisway said:
Sorry, I was told unequivocally they don't have film projectors in the main theater anymore.
I'll be happy to discuss theatres and projection details until the cows come home, Love to, in fact, I just don't want to drag this thread so far off topic.
So... to answer about whether or not I would buy it even if it were a nice transfer. Still no. I have the DVD set from ten years ago and that's enough. And again, given the tendency to doubledip with extra special editions later on, I still suspect something with the 02 version down the line. Then I'll reward them with my money.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321107/ushe-press-release-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial/90#post_3933882
But what you first posted here was that there were no projectors. Not all projectors run film.
I'll be happy to discuss theatres and projection details until the cows come home, Love to, in fact, I just don't want to drag this thread so far of topic.
So... to answer about whether or not I would buy it even if it were a nice transfer. Still no. I have the DVD set from ten years ago and that's enough. And again, given the tendency to doubledip with extra special editions later on, I still suspect something with the 02 version down the line. Then I'll reward them with my money.

Not sure why you assume there'll be a double dip here. "ET" came out on DVD and 2002... and that was it. No double dip DVD release, so why assume there'll be another BD in the near future?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Okay bottom line here. I am not going to reward the omission of something I want with my money. I have already bought this title four times.
I am not sitting on a great pile of dough here, and have already been burned enough times by assuming Blu Ray will be an upgrade worthy of spending tight funds for yet another copy of something I've bought before. Too often, they're not. Hence, voting NO with my wallet. And I have been burned by double dipping. Whether or not you think it's likely is not going to sway me.
The studios have had their way with my wallet too many times, and I really don't need to hear things like "oh, come on, you know you want it" right now. There comes a time to just say NO.
Down the line if it turns up really cheap used, maybe I'll consider it. On my own terms, without supporting it financially.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well then don't buy it. Who cares? It's the tiredest argument on this forum and is borderline trolling. Just pack up and move on if you don't want it. I don't want it either, only because they need a bare-bones edition because I'm not shelling out for ultraviolet and digital copies. I only need the blu-ray folks, not all that other trash!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks