USHE Press Release: Cry_Wolf

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE ULTIMATE GAME OF TERROR AND DECEPTION
    DIRECTED BY JEFF WADLOW, WINNER OF THE CHRYSLER MILLION DOLLAR FILM FESTIVAL

CRY_WOLF

Cutting-Edge Thriller Available on DVD in an Unrated Version with Footage Too Frightening For Theaters and Rated Version
    December 20, 2005 From Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Universal City, California, November 4, 2005 - Eight high-school students spin a terrifying tale of murder and mayhem that comes back to haunt them in the year's most shocking horror mystery, Cry_Wolf. Directed by Jeff Wadlow (winner of the Chrysler Million Dollar Film Festival) and written by Wadlow and Beau Bauman, the cunningly crafted tale of an imaginary - or not? - serial killer arrives in stores in an Unrated version with never-before-scene footage and Rated version on December 20, 2005 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. Starring Julian Morris (Spin, Don't Go Breaking My Heart), Lindy Booth (Dawn of the Dead, Wrong Turn) and Jared Padalecki ("Supernatural," Flight of the Phoenix), Cry_Wolf is created from a chillingly original script, full of surprises that will keep viewers on the edge of their seats until the final horrifying twist.

In Cry_Wolf, a teen Internet prank turns deadly when troubled Owen Matthews (Morris) transfers to a posh private school where he befriends seven equally rebellious high-school seniors. Following the brutal murder of a young woman, they begin an online game of lies and rumors that will ultimately bring them face-to-face with the blood-curdling terror they thought that they had merely invented. The DVD is priced at $29.98 SRP. Pre-order close is November 15, 2005.

BONUS FEATURES TO DIE FOR
    The Cry_Wolf Unrated DVD delivers plenty of exclusive behind-the-scenes action in bonus features designed to ratchet up the suspense:
    * The Tower of Babble - The award-winning short film that led the filmmakers to Cry_Wolf.
    * Deleted and Alternate Scenes
    * Enter the Sinister Set - A tour with actor Julian Morris.

Both the Unrated and Rated DVD versions offer these fascinating and revealing bonus features:
    * Manual Labor - The short film that helped the filmmakers win the Chrysler Million Dollar Film Festival.
    * Wolves, Sheep and Shepherds - Casting the roles.
    * Commentary by the Filmmakers
    * And Much More!

SYNOPSIS

When the students of a prestigious prep school spread a hoax email about a serial killer, they start a game of terror and deception that has three rules: avoid suspicion, lie to your friends, and eliminate your enemies. But what starts as a joke soon turns deadly, and now they find themselves victims of their own game!
    For more information please visit: www.crywolfmovie.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Jeff Wadlow
    Written By: Beau Bauman, Jeff Wadlow
    Executive Produced By: David Bartis, Doug Liman
    Edited By: Seth Lewis Gordon
    Director of Photography: Romeo Tirone
    Production Designer: Martina Buckley
    Costume Designer: Alysia Raycraft
    Original Music By: Michael Wandmacher
    Cast: Julian Morris, Lindy Booth, Jared Padalecki

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD (UNRATED)
    Street Date: December 20, 2005
    Pre-Order Close: November 15, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 29404 (Widescreen); 29451 (Full Frame)
    Running Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
    Layers: Dual (Single Sided)
    Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1); Full Frame (1.33:1)
    Rating: Unrated
    Technical Info: English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

DVD (PG-13)
    Street Date: December 20, 2005
    Pre-Order Close: November 15, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP
    Selection Number: 28071
    Running Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
    Layers: Dual (Single Sided)
    Aspect Ratio: Full Frame (1.33:1)
    Rating: PG-13 (violence, terror, disturbing images, language, sexuality and a brief drug reference)
    Technical Info: English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

2. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I'm really starting not to like this new trend of having the theaterical version be full frame only.

3. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I hate it, mostly because I like the option to choose. Sure, usually I want the "unrated" (which is, by the way, a marketing term I find annoying by itself), but sometimes I don't, as with the 40-Year-Old Virgin, which is something like 16 minutes longer on DVD, when I thought it was a little too long as it was (118 minutes for a broad comedy is at least 15 minutes too long).

4. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

I see that both versions of the movie run 1 hour and 31 minutes. So I guess the only difference will be a few frames. *yawn*

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I'm not sure I understand the point of a PG-13 slasher film, which I primarily the reason I avoided this like the plague. I'll give the "unrated" version a spin because I'm a sucker for this kind of cheese, but I don't expect much.

These unrated releases are getting a bit ridiculous, so much so they aren't even off-limits at Wal-Mart anymore. At least in this case, it doesn't look like they're just sloppily editing in a heap of boring footage a la Ring Two.