USHE Press Release: Cinderella Man

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES

OSCAR(r) WINNERS RUSSELL CROWE, RENÉE ZELLWEGER, RON HOWARD AND BRIAN GRAZER UNITE FOR ONE OF THE YEAR'S MOST POWERFUL AND INSPIRING FILMS

CINDERELLA MAN

DVD Release and Two-Disc Edition Boxed Set Available
    December 6, 2005

"One of the Best Movies Ever" - Larry King, CNN
    Universal City, California, October 19, 2005 - Cinderella Man, the inspirational and heroic true American story starring Oscar(r)-winners Russell Crowe and Renée Zellweger, arrives on DVD and VHS on December 6, 2005 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. From the Academy Award(r) winning duo of filmmakers Ron Howard and Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13), comes the uplifting story about second chances, a wife's determination and one man's desperate fight to keep his family together against seemingly unbeatable odds. The single-disc DVD release, available in widescreen and full frame, is priced at $29.98 SRP and a widescreen two-disc Collector's Edition boxed set containing additional bonus features and exclusive collectibles is priced at $44.98 SRP. Both versions also feature DVS(r) (Descriptive Video Service) of the film intended for blind and low-vision audiences.

In yet another critically acclaimed performance praised by reviewers across the country, Russell Crowe portrays James J. Braddock, an unlikely hero whose decency, dedication and determination to face any adversity for those he loved inspired an entire nation. Renée Zellweger (Bridget Jones's

Diary, Chicago, Cold Mountain), co-stars as his fiercely devoted wife Mae, and Golden Globe( nominee Paul Giamatti (Sideways, American Splendor) plays his irrepressible manager, Joe Gould. The standout-supporting cast includes Craig Bierko (The Thirteenth Floor, The Long Kiss Goodnight) as the arrogant heavyweight champ Max Baer and Bruce McGill (Collateral, Runaway Jury) as hardball fight promoter Jimmy Johnston. Cliff Hollingsworth and Oscar(r) winner Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind; I, Robot) wrote the screenplay based on Braddock's amazing life.

KNOCKOUT REVIEWS
    Film critics are proclaiming Cinderella Man a winner! Larry King calls the film "one of the best movies ever" and Richard Roeper of "Ebert & Roeper" calls it "rousing, thrilling, inspirational." "USA Today" gives it four stars out of four, while "Rolling Stone's" Peter Travers dubs it "the classic American tale of the family man triumphant."

HEAVYWEIGHT BONUS FEATURES

The Cinderella Man DVD contains in-depth features about the making of the film and the life of James J. Braddock:

SIDE A
    Feature Commentary with Director Ron Howard

Feature Commentary with Writer Akiva Goldsman

Feature Commentary with Writer Cliff Hollingsworth

DVS

SIDE B
    Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Ron Howard

The Fight Card: Casting Cinderella Man
    Interviews with the cast, director, producer and casting director provide insight to the casting process that was so integral to this film's success.

The Man, The Movie, The Legend: A Filmmaking Journey
    Director Ron Howard, Russell Crowe, Director of Photography Salvatore Totino, Costume Designer Daniel Orlandi and Make-Up artist David Anderson discuss what it takes to help transform Russell Crowe into Jim Braddock.

For the Record: A History in Boxing
    Focus on Angelo Dundee/history of boxing - The legendary trainer takes viewers through the history of boxing, commenting both on camera and off to NBC archival footage.

Ringside Seats
    Focus on original Braddock/Baer match - Director Ron Howard, writer Akiva Goldsman, writer Norman Mailer, and producer Brian Grazer watch and comment on the original Braddock and Baer fight in a casual, sit down environment.

Jim Braddock: The Friends & Family Behind The Legend
    The family of Jim Braddock sits down to discuss the legend of Jim Braddock and what it means for his story to be brought to the big screen.

The Cinderella Man Collector's Edition contains additional deleted scenes and explores the life and times of James J. Braddock's world. Also included is an intimate video diary from Russell Crowe about his preparation for the role:

Additional Deleted Scenes with Commentary By Director Ron Howard

Russell Crowe's Personal Journey: Becoming Jim Braddock
    Follow Russell Crowe to his home in Australia as he develops the skills and talent of James Braddock's boxing style. Boxing Trainer Angelo Dundee, Fight Choreographer Nick Powell, and the boxers from Cinderella Man train at Russell's home outside of Sydney before production begins.

Pre-Fight Preparations
    Focus on script - In-depth discussion with the writers on the development of the script. The cast, production designer, costume designer and cinematographer discuss what attracted them to this project.

Lights, Camera, Action: The Fight From Every Angle
    Focus on cinematography/choreography - During this multi-angle feature, Director Ron Howard and Director of Photography Salvatore Totino, will explain why it was important to have so many cameras on the set.

Braddock vs. Baer Fight Footage
    The authentic James J. Braddock vs. Max Baer fight from 1935.

Photo Montage

The Sound of the Bell
    Focus on music/score - An in-depth discussion with Director Ron Howard and his composer, Thomas Newman, on scoring the film.

Cinderella Man Music Featurette

SYNOPSIS
    Academy Award( winners Russell Crowe and Renée Zellweger star in this triumphant, powerfully inspiring true story. In a time when America needed a champion, an unlikely hero would arise, proving how hard a man would fight to win a second chance for his family and himself. Suddenly thrust into the national spotlight, boxer Jim Braddock would defy the odds against him and stun the world with one of the greatest comebacks in history. Driven by love for his family, he willed an impossible dream to come true.

For more information please visit: www.cinderellamanmovie.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS
    Director: Ron Howard
    Screenplay By: Cliff Hollingsworth, Akiva Goldsman
    Story By: Cliff Hollingsworth
    Produced By: Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Penny Marshall
    Executive Producers: Todd Hallowell
    Director of Photography: Salvatore Totino
    Production Designer: Wynn Thomas
    Edited By: Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill
    Costume Designer: Daniel Orlandi
    Music By: Thomas Newman
    Cast: Russell Crowe, Renée Zellweger, Paul Giamatti, Craig Bierko, Paddy Considine, Bruce McGill, David Huband, Rosemarie DeWitt, Linda Kash

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    DVD
    Street Date: December 6, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP (Single Disc); $44.98 SRP (Collector's Edition)
    Selection Numbers: 22119 (Widescreen); 25839 (Full Frame); 28707 Collector's Edition
    Running Time: 2 Hours 25 Minutes
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
    Rating: PG-13 for intense boxing violence and some language
    Technical Info: English Audio Dolby Digital 5.1/DVS; French Audio Dolby Digital 5.1; English, Spanish and French Subtitles

VHS
    Street Date: December 6, 2005
    Copyright: 2005 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
    Price: $29.98 SRP (19.95 MAP)
    Selection Numbers: 60191
    Running Time: 2 Hours 25 Minutes
    Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
    Rating: PG-13 for intense boxing violence and some language
    Audio: Hi-Fi Stereo Surround

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Double sided disc? Thumbs down right there if it is.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'll be more likely to buy it if it IS a double-sided disc rather than another unnecessary 2-disc set. This is one of the worst-titled movies to come along in a long time though!

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

My favorite film of the year so far, but with Universal & DVD-18, I'll be passing.[​IMG]

5. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb

Wow, that's really cool.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

just watched it.

Good picture.
    Decent sound.
    GREAT movie. the rare 10/10.

Oscar to Renee again I reckon.

Luckily Horner didn't score - he would have ruined the movie.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Chris, did you watch the standard or collector's edition?

I'm rather amazed at the actual Braddock vs. Baer newsreel fight footage.

As for the technical aspects of the movie, the cinematography was just amazing--the supplements showing how it was filmed are fascinating.

And the movie itself is wonderful--this ain't your father's Rocky.

I'll have a review posted this weekend.

- Steve

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

As much as I hate double-sided discs, the Collector's too rich for my blood.

father's Rocky? am part of Rocky, lol. but I would describe CMan as a better version of Rocky, timeless in the sense it is historical.

9. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Can somebody confirm that this is definitely a double-sided disc?

I want this title very badly, but I refuse to buy these discs from Universal until they do something to fix their production problems.

10. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

It is.
    The Collector's isn't perhaps.

Had no glitches in any case.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    The graphics for the collector's edition show a DVD-18 (which I believe is the same disc as the single-disc package) and a DVD-9 (which I would take to be the second disc of extras in the CE).

- Steve

12. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

DVD 18? Come on, Universal [​IMG].

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

DVD is a 2-sided medium. End of discussion. [​IMG]

14. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

not in the rest of the world.
    DS sucks in my book. The movie is worth getting regardless.

15. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    DVD can be a 2-sided medium if it is done right.

But I have always disliked dual-sided discs, be they DVD-10, DVD-14, or DVD-18 (DS-SL, DS-DL/SL, DS-DL). It is hard to see the writing on that little interior ring. Maybe you whippersnappers can see it fine, but these 40+ year old eyes have to strain, especially in the reduced light of a home theater.

Remember how we used to scoff at Disney for saying that their early DVD's featured full-color artwork silkscreened on the DVD? I'm wishing that were more common at Universal, and it's not just a nitpick considering the problems we have had with DVD-18 coming (apparently) from their Mexico plant.

But not to derail this thread...Cinderella Man is an awe-inspiring movie with some of the most intense "you-are-there" boxing action put to film. More to come... later today!

- Steve