TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why Intrada didn't get the third one if they did the first two. It would have made sense for the entire trilogy to stay on one label. Of course, the score is the score so it's no big deal, but if I had been able to order both from Intrada I would've saved shipping.

Does the third one have the Doubleback song from the credits on it or not? If it's just the score, it may not, but I would like to get that song without having to buy it separately.
My guess is that Varese Sarabande did the re-release because they originally had and have maintained the rights to release that score.

The ZZ Top song as heard in the credits is not on the Part III disc but the 'old timey' version that's played at the town dance in the movie is on there. Since the movies were released within six months of each other, it's odd to me that Varese released Part III but not Part II.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since the movies were released within six months of each other, it's odd to me that Varese released Part III but not Part II.
Thanks. Your explanation makes sense. But, as you noted, splitting up the rights to the scores makes no sense in the first place, especially since the two of them are so directly connected.

Unlike the first film, I was technically actually alive when the sequels were originally released. But I was 14 months old in November 1989 when Part II arrived, so obviously I was completely unaware of it at the time.

So where do I get the credits version of Doubleback? Do I have to buy a ZZ Top album to get that?

On another note, it amazes me that none of the Back to the Future scores were even nominated for an Oscar and that Alan Silvestri still hasn't won one of those. For 1989, I agree with the Academy that that The Little Mermaid was the correct winner, so that would have beat Part II anyway. But all three scores are god enough to be considered. Silvestri is probably the best composer still working who hasn't won yet, and he is vastly overdue.

Every year, the local symphony does one concert where they choose a film and play the score live to picture. Ever since I moved here, they have always chosen a John Williams score. In 2017, it was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. In 2018, it was Star Wars. Last year, it was E.T. This year was supposed to be The Empire Strikes Back, but then they kicked that back to 2021 due to the virus. Now, I love John Williams as much as anybody and the quality of his work is indisputable. However, I do kind of feel like, also, there are other composers who did great work on other popular movies that would be fun to see in that way. So I wish they would vary their selections a bit. Back to the Future would be an excellent one and I would for sure go to it if they did that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR and Osato

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Your explanation makes sense. But, as you noted, splitting up the rights to the scores makes no sense in the first place, especially since the two of them are so directly connected.

Unlike the first film, I was technically actually alive when the sequels were originally released. But I was 14 months old in November 1989 when Part II arrived, so obviously I was completely unaware of it at the time.

So where do I get the credits version of Doubleback? Do I have to buy a ZZ Top album to get that?
it’s on their greatest hits album.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If it were me, I'd wait and see if they do a re-release of the original this year. If not, I'd just pick up the one disc whenever it comes back in stock (with Intrada, it can be a long time).
Looking at my account, I ordered it on April 1, 2019. They had posted on Facebook that it was available again and I never ordered something so fast in my life. That being said, it's been available ever since then as far as I know.
I just got an email back from Intrada about this (on a Saturday, even!) Their representative wrote:

"Hi Jake. I see you have just placed an order and have signed up for our email newsletter. We always post there when titles are back in stock so you will see it there. Thanks!"

I emailed back to ask how often they send newsletters in relation to how often things come back in stock. Like you did with the second one, I want to make sure that I order the first one as soon as it is possible to place an order again because I don't want to risk losing out again. I also suggested that now might be a good time to do a re-release of the 2-disc set if possible, on account of increased interest in the films due to the 35th anniversary and upcoming 4K release. We'll see what they say.

In the meantime, my orders for Part II is in with Intrada and my order for Part III is in with Varèse Sarabande, so those are done. They haven't shipped yet (ordered Thursday night) but hopefully I should get them soon. Varèse Sarabande said on their website that the deluxe edition of Part III is a limited edition of 5,000 copies. Since it is labelled as a 25th anniversary edition, we know that was released five years ago in 2015. I'm certainly not complaining about being able to get one, which I didn't know existed before you mentioned it, so thank you. But it surprises me that they've apparently sold less than 5,000 copies of that score in five years. I wonder how many they have left (or if they reconsidered and printed more.)

Reactions: TravisR

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I heard back again from Intrada. Their staff is very nice and prompt. Since I had originally been told that signing up for the newsletter would alert me when titles come back in stock, I asked how often the newsletters go out in relation to restocking.

He said, "The newsletters are weekly, so usually within a day or two. Definitely don't pay the triple digit prices; that's insane!"

So that's good to know. As soon as they get around to pressing the disc again, I'll get it right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note, before Travis mentioned that Intrada would eventually get the single-disc version in stock again, I had looked on eBay to see what they were going for there (way too much.). My eBay search for "Back to the Future" also showed me a secondhand seller's listing for the steelbook box set that Best Buy is going to be carrying. Their price at BestBuy.com for my pre-order was $69.99. This seller is offering it in "brand new" condition for $109, or stripped of the digital codes for $79, both of which are ridiculously higher than Best Buy's price. According to the listing, they've already sold three copies and have another four available.

I'm not going to post the link here because they don't deserve the traffic, but this just makes me so upset. It's jerks like this who buy up the steelbooks in bulk just to resell them that make the steelbooks difficult to obtain in the first place. I mean, I've got my pre-order in on this one, but still. I wish there was a way to prevent this crap from happening so that all of the steelbooks could get in the hands of honest fans who really want them instead of jerks who price gouge even before the thing has become officially available. Although I'm good on this particular title, I have missed out on steelbooks before that I wanted and couldn't order fast enough, so this kind of crap is super annoying.

I assume that the seller turns around and places a new pre-order with Best Buy every time someone orders with them. If the buyer wants it without a digital code, that's a $10 markup over Best Buy's price; if the buyer wants the whole thing, they've made $39 on unsuspecting people who could just order from Best Buy directly. This is really unfortunate and it's too bad there is no mechanism to stop this from happening.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wanted to bump this thread because I now have the soundtracks for Part II and Part III that Travis mentioned a while back.

Just in case anyone else is thinking about these but hasn't pulled the trigger yet, I would add my recommendation to his earlier one. They are fantastic. They sound quality is clear and vibrant, and it's a delight to hear Silvestri's work complete and unabridged. I was not aware that these existed on CD before he mentioned it and am really glad to have them. My parents are starting to get annoyed because I played Part II all weekend since it arrived last Friday. Part III got here today, so I've switched to that one for now. A highlight:

The complete release of Part III on Varèse Sarabande is listed as a limited edition of 5,000 units. It came out in 2015, so they've obviously gone five years without selling out because I was able to buy one which I am listening to right now. However, I have no idea how many are left and I would think that the increased publicity around the upcoming 4K releases might cause more interest in it. So, if you haven't gotten it yet and still want it, you might want to do that soon.

I was also wondering about the steelbooks I have on order for the trilogy. As seen in the picture, the front covers of all three combine into a single picture that stretches across all three cases. That makes me wonder what they are going to do for the backs, and if the "combined picture" idea stretches to the reverse side as well. I suppose it's possible that we won't find out until the day of release, unless they actually send the steelbooks out for review, which I doubt.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Most people think of Back to the Future's important dates in October and November from the other films, but the third film takes place in September.

It occurred to me today that the climax of Back to the Future Part III, in which "Clint Eastwood" faces Buford Tannen, happened 135 years ago today.

I'm tempted to watch Part III again today, but also kind of wanted to lay off them to make the arrival of the new set in 43 days feel more special. I already revisited the existing discs when this press release came out.

Dunno. I've also never watched Part III on its own before; I usually just go through the whole trilogy.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Not only that, but today is also a Monday, the correct day of the week for September 7th! :biggrin:

I’m also pretty sure I’ve watched all three films on their own individually multiple times.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I did rewatch Part III yesterday (well, tonight, but it's after midnight now) for the occasion. It was very strange to watch it individually and not with the previous two films preceding it. Of course, I've seen them all many times and know them pretty well, so it wasn't confusing or anything. But it still felt strange to see the final third of Marty and Doc's journey together without the weight of the previous ones in front of it. This is why I generally prefer to watch all three in a close span of time.

That being said, even though I most recently watched it earlier this summer, it was still a pleasure to watch and not the least bit exciting for being a repeat of a fairly recent viewing. Obviously, Gale and Zemeckis borrow quite a bit structurally from the other films, but it's a testament to how well the film works that it is still engaging to watch despite removing the supporting characters from the previous films in favor of their new-to-us descendants. I mean, yes, we know that Thomas F. Wilson is playing Buford and that Lea Thompson is playing Maggie, but they feel like fully-realized new characters and not just renamed versions of the old ones. I think that's a credit to their work.

Of course, Fox and Lloyd provide continuity for the audience despite the new era, and they continue to find new stuff to play even In their third go-round. The idea from Zemeckis and Gale to have their dynamic from the first two films flip in the third is terrific and keeps things fresh. Mary Steenburgen is so good as Clara that it feels like a shame she wasn't introduced earlier. I'm not saying that the first two films needed her to be in them because they're great as-is, but her dynamic with Christopher Lloyd is so great that I would have liked to have seen even more of them together.

When I came back online after finishing the movie, the first thing that caught my eye on my Facebook news feed happened to be a new video promoting the Back to the Future stage musical, which is going to be discussed on the new Blu-rays.

Their original run in Manchester earlier this year was cut very short by the virus, but the producers have announced a transfer to London currently set for summer 2021. The video indicates they're looking at a start date of May 14, 2021, as you can see from the time circuits.

I'm really glad that the show will indeed be remounted. Whether they can make May or not obviously depends on how quickly theatre can get back up and running following a vaccine, but I'm really glad they intend to move forward. I'm not going to be able to go to London to see it, but still. If it is successful there, the natural path would be a Broadway run followed by a tour, which I would probably be able to see. That's several years off probably, but baby steps. I'm surprised they have been able to get me excited to watch other actors play these iconic parts which are so richly associated with the movie cast, but I love the couple songs I've heard already, and I would almost see it just to witness how they do the the time travel with the car and the clocktower in a stage format. I have no idea, but If they can actually pull it off in person, in real time, I suspect that it should be something stunning to watch. They'll probably have to rethink some things to play to the strengths of the live medium, but that's what makes it exciting to see it done in a new way. I think this is much preferable to a movie reboot or sequel, which I'm sure Universal would love to do despite Zemeckis and Gale being against that. This one doesn't taint the original in the way that a new bad film would.

I'll pay a bunch of money to import a London cast recording CD from the UK as soon as they make one, which hopefully will be next year at some point. I wonder which CD I will have first: the eventual cast album for the musical or Intrada's release of the first film's score which is waiting for a new pressing.

Also, here's Roger Bart (Doc Brown on stage) meeting Christopher Lloyd...

And here's a television appearance the cast did earlier this year before the Manchester run was cut short.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is odd.

The steelbook website has uploaded a photo of the steelbooks without the movie titles on the front of the box.

Back to the Future steelbooks.png

For comparison, Best Buy's website is still showing the same picture from when the release was announced, including the titles on the individual covers.

Back to the Future steelbooks Best Buy.jpg

I get that they are going for a consistent image across all three covers, but I don't think having the titles there does anything to hinder that. In fact, I think it looks very strange without the titles up there above the clocktower. I hope the final product does include the titles. But if they do, then why would the steelbook website post images without them?

These are the editions I'm going to get so I'm very curious about the look of the final product.

I'd also be interested to get a look at the back designs, but I guess we won't see that until they are released.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t think it’s unusual for a steel book to not have words on the front.
They often have a cardboard overlay that has all the info on it.
I like it without all the clutter.
It’s on a shelf with the slim side out anyway.

Checking BB com I see what looks like the steels and a case they will sit in that has the names, words and any info you need.
Plus looking at the steel covers it’s pretty easy to figure out which movie each one has in it.

Reactions: Osato

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, yeah. I'll know which movie is which. I just think the sky area looks kind of empty without the titles and would prefer for them to be there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah. I'll know which movie is which. I just think the sky area looks kind of empty without the titles and would prefer for them to be there.
I like it a lot more without the titles.

You're buying the steelbooks for the unique art - why clutter it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah as I mentioned steelbooks tend to be different fro the usual standard Blu-ray case cover.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have a bunch of steelbooks that have titles on them and only one other that doesn't. I don't find the titles obtrusive to the image at all. I know that some don't, and that's a stylistic choice by the designer I guess, but it's not one that I prefer.

Jeff F.

Stunt Coordinator
I just noticed that the first two "Back to the Future" films upgraded to 4K on iTunes. Part 3 is still in HD. I wonder if they jumped the gun like they did with "2001" and will downgrade back to HD until next month. I haven't had a chance to sample them yet, but looking forward to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I just noticed that the first two "Back to the Future" films upgraded to 4K on iTunes. Part 3 is still in HD. I wonder if they jumped the gun like they did with "2001" and will downgrade back to HD until next month. I haven't had a chance to sample them yet, but looking forward to it.
Yeah, we're talking about it here. Yesterday, I watched the first movie in its entirety and here are my thoughts.

Reactions: Jeff F.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc