What's new

USHE Press Release: Back To The Future Trilogy (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What was wrong with the original Blu-ray release? I have the 25th Anniversary Edition from 2010, which was the last time I purchased these.

I remember the misframing on the original DVD release of Part II and III, but nothing about an error with the original Blu-rays.

I am not equipped for 4K. Is there any reason for me to double dip for the new edition? I skipped the 30th anniversary version from 2015.

I recall it was thought to be a bit too filtered/denoised by some... as usually happened w/ films of that era, especially from Universal back then in the earlier days of BD (nearly 10 years ago). But truth is these flicks, especially the first one, just won't look very sharp (at least by modern, hirez digital standards) at least in part due to all the optical effects... and I really gotta wonder if 4K will reveal anymore detail/quality over BD for them. I suspect not much, if any... though the 4K digital streams should probably be noticeably better than the current HD ones...

BUT... as I said, I'd love to be wrong on that...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Don't care about the supplements, just the original theatrical versions in UHD.

What other versions are there? The VHS added "To be continued..." to the end of the first film, but other than that I have never been aware of an alternate cut being released.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Funny, I actually would like the “To Be Continued...” back into the first film. In makes it more consistent with the “To Be Concluded...” at the end of Part II and the “The End” at the end of Part III. And on top of that I’d take out the short “preview” of Part III that’s at the end of Part II. If only I could Lucas it to my liking!

I will undoubtedly pick this up at some point, but I find myself less giddy about it. Maybe because I feel so content with what I already have. But, the trilogy is among my favorite movies of all time, so my physical media whore-ness will most likely pull through and this will end up on my shelf.

Getting to be an expensive fall. This, Beetlejuice 4K, the new F13 set. And I already bought The Skywalker Saga earlier this year...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Funny, I actually would like the “To Be Continued...” back into the first film. In makes it more consistent with the “To Be Concluded...” at the end of Part II and the “The End” at the end of Part III. And on top of that I’d take out the short “preview” of Part III that’s at the end of Part II.

I agree with that.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
From the press release “All three BACK TO THE FUTURE films will also be available on 4K Ultra HD digitally for the first time ever...“ Is that a promise? Because Blues Brothers and Spartacus are still not 4K digitally!

And no, the original BTTF digital codes from the Blu-ray will not get free 4K upgrades even though they were originally redeemed at iTunes. This is because they redeemed as SD. The launch of Movies Anywhere bumped them up to HD but iTunes only considers the original redemption for 4K bumps. I’ll be looking for a good sale price on the digital bundle.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Universal will release these individually -- they never did separate releases for the Jurassic Park films. I finally gave up waiting and bought just the first film from that series in 4K on iTunes. I will do the same with Back to the Future if Universal follows that same pattern with these films.

Did Uni ever put out the "BTTF" flicks individually on Blu-ray?

I think they got solo DVD releases but am not sure about BDs...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's a damn good deal! Thanks for the heads-up, Jake! Here's the direct item link if anyone else is interested:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Target is currently taking pre-orders for the 4K for $42.99. I'm not sure why they are so much cheaper than the other retailers for what appears to be the same thing, but there you go.

Does the Target edition come with that floating device?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Target is currently taking pre-orders for the 4K for $42.99. I'm not sure why they are so much cheaper than the other retailers for what appears to be the same thing, but there you go.

ordered!!! Thank you!!!

Love these films. Can’t wait to see the new extras too!

Britton

Screenwriter
The films are on Netflix now and the first one doesn’t have that filtered look that made many unhappy with the Blu-ray. It definitely looks better IMO. I haven’t checked out the sequels.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The films are on Netflix now and the first one doesn’t have that filtered look that made many unhappy with the Blu-ray. It definitely looks better IMO. I haven’t checked out the sequels.

I watched a minute or so. The titles are dirty and the titles shake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks