1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

USHE Press Release: Back To The Future 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

While this made writing my review a whole lot easier, I still wish they'd created new transfers. The 2010 transfers are good but I think they could've been better - and I hold out no hopes that Uni will revisit the title on BD down the road. If they didn't "upgrade" it now - with the massive amounts of press the series has received due to the year - why would they do it later?

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Hi Robert!

It appears that the DVD set we have is safe, as for both BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 and 3, ALL of the files are dated February (02) and March (03), with the year 2003! This is good to know, since though I had thought we would need to replace these when our son moved out a couple of years ago, as we had originally purchased this set for him, he has no interest in repossessing it, so to speak! While my wife and I both enjoy viewing these once in a long while, I can't justify shelling out even for the new Blu-ray set, while we have the DVD Trilogy.

Perhaps someday, our son will get a hankering to revisit "The Future" as he did with FORREST GUMP awhile back? Of course, in that instance, I wound up scooping a spare 2 DVD set from the $5 Bargain Bin instead of getting the Blu-ray, but it was a spur of the moment purchase! At least it was the more compact DVD casing!

As a final side note; it doesn't appear as though the Chicago Cubs winning the 2015 World Series is very likely to come true, as the Mets just took a 3 Games to 0 lead in the NLCS. Once again, reality bites for the North Siders! Ah, well!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. Thank you very much for your most helpful clarification!

UPDATE: Upon reading the article in Angelfire, the manufactured dates on our BTTF 2 and 3 DVD's seemed to fall in an annoying in between state. Thus, I decided to dig a bit deeper:

BTTF 2: Near the bottom right hand corner of the Disc Label, I found the key "V2" designation, indicating a revised Disc.

BTTF 3: With no on Disc Label indicators, I decided to reference the Drive In scene, which if framed correctly, would show Marty McFly's Nike Shoes while he stands on the outside near a Drinking Water Fountain. McFly's Nikes are indeed visible throughout this bit, a sample of which can be seen below!

vlcsnap-2015-10-21-01h49m21s764.

Above Screenshot Taken From the BACK TO THE FUTURE III DVD*

* I Should Note That I've Noticed A Slight Framing Issue (Not To The Extent Of The Botched Discs!) With My PC Video Playback, As Of Late!

The Trailers included for both BTTF 2 and 3 DVD's, though not anamorphic, are also Widescreen, indicators for the revised DVD's, rather than the incorrect 4x3 Aspect Ratio that was used on the botched versions.

Of further note, pertaining to our BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY 3 DVD set; while I just read some very old posts regarding the 12 page booklet's non inclusion on the revised sets, it WAS included in ours, which we purchased sometime in 2006, I believe! Perhaps Universal reinstated it after having received a large number of complaints? Or could this be a unique to the Canadian English/French Hybrid DVD version scenario?

3. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I'm back from the marathon. I'd guess that over 100 people were there. Quality was about the same of the blu-ray but could have been better since the theater left the 3D lenses on.

Overall we had a good time but there was a long delay before Back to the Future 3 because we had to wait for the police to arrive to remove 3 people who snuck beer into the theater from the theater. They left to thunderous applause.

I don't often watch Back to the Future 3 but I thought that the image quality was by far the best of the 3 movies. I think all the outdoor shots and fewer optical effects resulted in the compressionist having a lighter hand on DNR and EE.

Image quality substantially degraded each time they used their process that allowed multiple instances of the same actor in the same shot.

MatthewA likes this.
  4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I picked up a Flux Capacitor box set at BB and noticed there is no disc art on the three films, even though disc art versions are clearly shown on the back of the box (the bonus disc does have it). Just curious if this is widespread, and if so, is it isolated to the box set or is it happening with all versions? As the films are not remastered, it's not an issue from a playback standpoint, but since disc art is one of the few new "features" of this deluxe package, for it to be missing, is disappointing. It seems like there's always an issue when it comes to high profile Universal releases. This is really lazy on their part. It borders on false advertising, or at the very least, product misrepresentation, and I hope they do the right thing and offer replacement discs.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I few asleep before the Jimmy Kimmel Live episode aired last night, so it was great that the Back to the Future segment with Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd and the Fox interview is on YouTube, pretty cool they worked out the appearances in costume and character and with the Delorean.

6. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Saw the original film last night for the first time in a very long time. It holds up really, really well. Very impressed.

7. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

So they can sell it to you again for the 35th. Surely at some point they'll do a 4k transfer, no?

8. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Really? Christ, I've snuck beer into movies before, seems excessive to call the cops. And unless those patrons were drunk and obnoxious, why would the rest of the audience care so much as to applaud when they were removed.

One question on the new set for those who have it, does this new one have that odd packaging with those plastic flex tabs that broke at the first instance of any slightly excessive force?

9. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    they were a bit on the obnoxious side. The audience was also clapping because the movie could finally start.

10. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    No. It's a digibook. The discs slide in and out of thick cardboard sleeves.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I saw it with about 50 people or so. I don't know if I've ever watched all 3 back to back before so that was fun and seeing them with a crowd was cool too.

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I still remember the mixed emotions upon discovering at the end of BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 that there would be about a 6 month wait to seeing a proper conclusion to the Marty McFly/Doc Emmett Brown saga!

The wait was well worth it, of course! :)

CHEERS! :)

13. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    TravisR likes this.
  14. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
  15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Back in the laserdisc days, I'd create an edited trilogy that progressed as one long movie on one VHS tape. Of course, this meant 6-hour mode and crappy quality, but my friends liked it! :)

I'd love to see that if they could pack all five and a half hours or so of movies onto one disc. I'd love to be able to watch all three without any interruptions!

TravisR likes this.