What's new

USHE Press Release: ALFRED HITCHCOCK: THE MASTERPIECE COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Ive never used Family video before, but watch out for Coconuts-they can be a real pain-I finally gave up on their big STAR WARS promotion when it came out-a big fiasco...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The fine print for first-time buyers: "This (10%) offer not good with any other coupon or promotion" (Coconuts)

So it looks to be $75 using a mail-in rebate...or $76.50 with 1st timer coupon....?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
They better honor the $10 rebate. Their invoice shows it's available even though the 10% coupon, and free shipping offer was also applied.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Pre-ordered this along with Hitchcock Presents: Season 1 at amazon. it was $83 there...

CAN NOT WAIT!!!

DavidBC

Second Unit
Has anyone seen inside this thing yet?
Do we have any ideas as to the packaging?
Slim-cases, digipacks, thinpacks?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If you were to get this for around $70, that would basically equal about 5-6 of the old single releases.

So... getting the box is sort of like getting the "best" films such as Vertigo, The Birds, Psycho, Shadow of a Doubt, Vertigo, and Rear Window while getting Rope, Saboteur, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Frenzy, Topaz, Family Plot, and The Trouble with Harry as extras.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
and they are ALL good. There's not a bad film in this batch, except maybe "Torn Curtain," which is still OK if you're a fan. But I already have the old discs, so until I can get a mono "Vertigo" separately I'm not buying.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Personally, I find Topaz to be terrible, but it is heavily outweighed by the other films quality to be regulated to an afterthought for this hopefully perfect set.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I already had 10 of the 14 films, but was able to sell them for around $70. So, this set will only cost me about $13 (ordered from Amazon), and I'll now have Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, and Family Plot added to my collection. I'll also save some shelf space.

This is all subjective, of course. The Trouble With Harry is a personal favorite of mine.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm..yeah but I don't want all these..lol..I'm picky about what I put on the shelf, just because it's Hitchcock doesn't mean it cuts the mustard. There are 5 of these I truly would put on the shelf(that's my taste), and one of them I already have(the Birds, which is the version in the set any better?), but if they are just selling them in the set, it's not like I can sell the rest later. I don't like being forced to buy a set to get the best versions...why not single releases.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

No, but it usually does IMO, and as he's the ultimate auteur, Hitchcock's films are all worth seeing as they form a consistent body of work that constantly cross-references.

The only way this could be a bad set is if Universal screws it up.

Again.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The only really weak ones in this set are Topaz and Torn Curtain.

But for me, that's kind of a moot point. The real question is whether or not the transfers are improved. This would be a massive double dip for me, which I'd gladly do for improved PQ, but I'm remain skeptical if that's the case.

Will Ryan

Agent
Do we know if UNIVERSAL will be using the newly restored Cinesite elements on THE MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH? Will this also give up the original VistaVision logo?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, they used the restored To Kill a Mockingbird for its Legacy DVD and the two films were restored at the same time. I'm really hoping they do the same thing... the old transfer is really soft.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Universal seems to have been doing better recently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be another excellent product from them like the Legacy Series discs were.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Most of their classics are preceeded by the current Universal logo, but usually with the original intact. Not like it's a big deal... unlike the logo replacing Warner Bros. did on a lot of 1970's films or Paramount to their pre-1990's films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks