What's new

USHE Announcement: Phantom of the Opera (1943) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
image_jpg_beta 6.21.09 AM.jpeg

Headline Date: TBA Release Date: 6/4/2013 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1943) Product Source: Theatrical Theatrical Studio: Universal Theatrical Release: 8/27/1943 Synopsis: One of the most popular stories of all time, Gaston Leroux’s The Phantom of the Opera is the legendary horror tale starring Claude Rains as the masked phantom of the Paris Opera House. Following a tragic accident that leaves him disfigured, crazed composer Erique Claudin transforms into a masked phantom who schemes to make beautiful young soprano Christine Dubois (Susanna Foster) the star of the opera and wreak revenge on those who stole his music. A heroic baritone (Nelson Eddy) tries to win the affections of Christine as he tracks down the disfigured “monster” who has begun murdering those who resist his mad demands. Inspired by the original 1925 silent version, this lavish Technicolor production remains one of the most unforgettable adaptations ever to be filmed. Blu-ray Full Frame (61125748) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-21791-1-2 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 6/4/2013 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 29 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono French European DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH Spanish Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • The Opera Ghost: A Phantom Unmasked • Production Photographs • Feature Commentary with Film Historian Scott MacQueen • 100 Years of Universal: The Lot • My Scenes DVD Full Frame (61020767) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20767-2-5 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 8/30/2009 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 33 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH French Edition: - Picture: Full Frame Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • The Opera Ghost: A Phantom Unmasked • Feature Commentary with Film Historian Scott MacQueen • Production Photographs • Theatrical Trailer • Cast and Filmmakers • Production Notes

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this Blu-ray this afternoon. Yes, the opera sequences go on too long (but kind of expected since Nelson Eddy is top-billed), but I have to say he's in magnificent voice with a more full-bodied timbre to his voice than in his MGM operettas.

Anyway, holy cow what a gorgeous Blu-ray this is! No wonder this film won the 1943 color production design and cinematography Oscars. Likely would have won for costumes, too, had that award been around in 1943 (didn't come into the Academy until 1948). This is one of the lushest Technicolor transfers I think that's available right now, almost on par with Meet Me in St. Louis and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. You can see the enormous improvement from the DVD transfer in the documentary on the disc which uses an SD transfer for clips from the movie.

I can't believe I didn't even know this was available as a separate disc until a week ago.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just happened to run across a single Blu-ray of this title at a local Giant Tiger for $6.99. Looking forward to finally viewing this!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks