What's new

USHE Announcement: Meet Joe Black (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Promotion: May 2012 Blu-ray Releases Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 5/1/2012 MEET JOE BLACK Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 11/13/1998 Synopsis: Brad Pitt and Academy Award®-winner Anthony Hopkins star in Meet Joe Black, this beautifully directed tale of life and death. Bill Parish (Hopkins) has it all - success, wealth and power. Days before his 65th birthday he receives a visit from a mysterious stranger, Joe Black (Pitt), who soon reveals himself as Death. In exchange for extra time, Bill agrees to serve as Joe's earthly guide. But will he regret his choice when Joe unexpectedly falls in love with Bill's beautiful daughter Susan (Claire Forlani). Blu-ray Widescreen (61119644) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-21123-0-0 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 5/1/2012 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 3 Hours 1 Minute Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: PG-13 CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Spotlight On Location: The Making of Meet Joe Black
• Production Photographs Montage
• My Scenes
DVD Widescreen (61020531) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-20531-2-2 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 11/13/2007 PreOrder Date: 11/6/2007 Run Time (HH:MM): 3 Hours Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: PG-13 CARA Rating: [deleted]An Accident Scene, Some Sexuality and Brief Strong Language Bonus Features: • Spotlight on Location
• Production Notes
• Cast and Filmmakers
• Theatrical Trailer

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I guess I'll need to keep my Meet Joe Black Ultimate edition for Death Takes a Holiday, oh well.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
MEET JOE BLACK is an over-indulgent production which can't hold a candle to the excellent original, DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY. I've seen a 35mm print of DEATH, and it, rather than JOE B, should be a BD release.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I love this movie. In fact, I already got the Blu-ray from the UK. Still, I'm glad to see it finally being released on Blu-ray in the U.S.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I declined to see it in original release in Santa Monica. After seeing the DVD, I regretted that decision. This is a powerful and wonderful film. Some of the sequences have their own poetry. Brad Pitt really comes through in showing us what life and love are like. Death and taxes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I respect everybody's right to love a film that I myself could barely sit through. I saw both DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and MEET JOE BLACK in 35mm prints. I saw DTAH first and admired the charm and grace that Fredric March brought to the role of Death/Prince Sirkin. One could understand how Grazia could fall in love with dashing Death and follow him. And all this was accomplished in 79 minutes! Then I saw MJB, which went on for 178 minutes, same plot, same results; which turned the charming Prince/Death into an uncouth country bumpkin; and which gave Anthony Hopkins way too much screen time when the real conflict was whether Claire Forlani would choose death over life and follow Brad Pitt. And I often wondered, what did Claire see in Brad, the way his character was written and acted? Again, I have no desire to change anybody's opinion, but if you haven't seen 1934's DTAH, with stunning B&W cinematography; gorgeous sets and costumes; the lovely Evelyn Venable; and the light, romantic touch of Mitchell Leisen's direction, you are depriving yourself of a well-crafted jewel. For those who love MJB, I envy the fact that you're getting to enjoy a BD release, whereas DTAH will languish forgotten in some vault.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
bujaki said:
I respect everybody's right to love a film that I myself could barely sit through. I saw both DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and MEET JOE BLACK in 35mm prints. I saw DTAH first and admired the charm and grace that Fredric March brought to the role of Death/Prince Sirkin. One could understand how Grazia could fall in love with dashing Death and follow him. And all this was accomplished in 79 minutes! Then I saw MJB, which went on for 178 minutes, same plot, same results; which turned the charming Prince/Death into an uncouth country bumpkin; and which gave Anthony Hopkins way too much screen time when the real conflict was whether Claire Forlani would choose death over life and follow Brad Pitt. And I often wondered, what did Claire see in Brad, the way his character was written and acted? Again, I have no desire to change anybody's opinion, but if you haven't seen 1934's DTAH, with stunning B&W cinematography; gorgeous sets and costumes; the lovely Evelyn Venable; and the light, romantic touch of Mitchell Leisen's direction, you are depriving yourself of a well-crafted jewel. For those who love MJB, I envy the fact that you're getting to enjoy a BD release, whereas DTAH will languish forgotten in some vault.
SPOILERS BELOW! Seen DTAH a number of times, originally decades ago. I considered it a light and stylish film. Somehow, unexpectedly, MJB got under my skin. I saw all of the characters being conflicted and looking for a resolution in their lives/deaths. This includes the daughter and the son-in-law. What did Claire see in Brad? Take a look at the scene in the coffee shop, just before Brad's first character is killed. A touching and beautiful scene of "love at first sight", followed by a real shock to the system. MJB is simply a film that you don't conveniently let go of, it stays with you. Something of the same effect on me as Vertigo (which is a much better film on many levels). It is an obsessive film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks